Chapter 1

It was a late evening.

The wind was blowing harshly and the sound of rain hitting the window could be heard throughout the whole car which faded with the soft sound of music that played on the radio.

James was visiting his father whom he hasn't seen for a few months now. The car ride was exhausting and James was already starting to feel drowsy and tired. There was only another half an hour until he got there, so he tried to keep himself up and awake.

Once at his street, James pulled up slowly towards the house but notice an expensive car parked outside on the drive-through. James decided to park his car on the side road. I guess he got a new car. James slowly and tiredly made his way out of his car. The moon and stars were shining brightly tonight and there was this eerie feeling in the air that James shrugged off as him just being tired from the 5-hour drive. The young man slowly made his way towards the front door when he noticed it was swung open, he stopped in his tracks his heart jumping a bit as a huge gush of wind went straight past him and into the house making his stomach twist and knot from this sudden anxiety bubbling inside him.

James slowly peeked into the house. When he didn't see or hear anything James decide to make his way in as quietly as possible. He slowly made his way through the house trying to be as quiet as possible as he heard voices coming from the living room. There was audible yelling as well as his father's voice frantic and shaky.

James was visibly scared but he quietly snuck his way to the sidewall, peaking his head around the corner to see the living room. He took a glance and saw his father bleeding on the wooden floor, his face all beat up as he critically pleaded for forgiveness.

The young man was mortified at the sight before him. Seeing the blood leaking down his father's head and face. The beat-up and swollen face of his father made his stomach churn. He was paralyzed in place with his mouth slightly hanging open, his face visibly paler.

"Please, I'll give the money back, I just need more time. I'll do anything and everything. I want to live. Please, I have a family. I don't want to die." His father's voice was shaky and frantic as he pleaded with the men looming above him. However, James could only see the back-off of the men. He could clearly understand the situation but didn't know what to think of it. 

Did he own them money? What kind of sick, fucking joke is this?

His gaze was one of fear as he glanced at his father on the floor, all beat up and begging the men, who only laughed and spit at him in the face. They took joy in the fear of the man.

His father wished for the ground to swallow him whole and never return him. To leave this treacherous hell behind. He prayed to anyone listening to help him. "The boss gave you enough time already. The deal was that you'll pay them back in 5 months. That time is up Richard! You know the rules man. They told you the consequences, but people like you never learn, do ya."

The suited-up man with a bald head spoke up with giddy and joy, spitting at his father. This was just another day for him. His voice made chills run down James' back. His stomach twisted once again as the man moved towards his father. He couldn't move, he was stuck in this trance and watched as the other man picked his father off the ground and held him up while the bald guy pulled out a knife from his pocket, and slowly stalked his way toward Richard's shaking body.

His father eyed the men for mercy, his body shaking and breathing getting louder and faster. He didn't want to die. Nobody does. The man was shaking, his eyes watering as a visible patch of urine could be seen forming on his black jeans trickling down his leg to the ground below him. James couldn't speak or make any noise as the men got quiet for a few seconds before bursting out laughing at his father's predicament.