Chapter 20

James woke up to his phone ringing loudly. He must have fallen asleep on the couch last night but he was frantically looking for his phone, still too tired to even open his eyes. 

He reached for his phone and opened his eyes to be hit by a bright light from his phone. He winced but quickly recovered from the flash. He saw an unknown number pop up and he was confused for a second and hesitant to pick up but he picked up anyways. "Hello? Um, who is this?" He heard a light chuckle over the phone and got small goosebumps. "Morning lovely. It's Sam, from yesterday." He sat up straight away and gawked for a second, his mouth opening. He took in a deep breath and smiled a little as a small blush formed on his face. "That's right, sorry. Morning Sam, is there anything you need?" She chuckled once again and James bit his bottom lip holding the phone tighter as he tried to stop his face from heating up from embarrassment, he felt so dumb. 

Sam was quiet for a second and he almost thought she hung up. "It's about our date today. Can I pick you up at four?" James blinked his eyes a few times, trying to figure out what she just said and then it hit me. "Date! Oh, right, our date! Sorry, um, yes, that's fine. Four is fine with me if it's fine with you." He just blurted out verbal vomit and flushed once he finished, smacking and facepalming himself. 'She must think I'm so stupid.' 

James sighed deeply as he patted his cheeks. "Alright then lovely. See you at four. Also, wear something casual or comfy, I don't care what you'll wear, I bet you'll look good in anything. See you at four lovely." Before James could even comprehend what she said or give her a response the line went flat and she hung up. 

He sat there clutching his phone trying to process what she just said. He sat there for a while but just a while and then sat up. He saved her contact his hands shaking a little from excitement. Anxiety? James had no idea but he felt butterflies in his stomach. 

He put his phone on the couch and paced around his apartment for some time, trying to process what has just been said and trying to calm down his growing anxiety. Or is it joy? 

'Why are you panicking like this James? What the hell is wrong with you? You only met this girl yesterday, so calm down. It might not even work out, or she might just be playing with you and your feelings.' He stopped in his tracks with those thoughts in his mind and his mood went low. What if she was just playing with him and he gets heartbroken or even worse hurt? 

"I can't let myself be too happy or excited. This might not even work out!" With all that on his mind, James made his way into the kitchen and made himself some eggs and a hot cup of coffee. He sat there eating his food just thinking of all the negatives that could happen on this date. His happy, anxious mood was now fully gone, turning sour and only doubts crossed his mind. James looked up at the clock and sighed. "I still have seven hours till our date." 

James finished up his food and washed the plate and cup. He slowly made his way to the bathroom and washed his face brushing his teeth. He made his way to his bedroom taking his working-out clothes. He put on his joggers and a white tee along with some Nike shoes. He picked up his phone and keys and left his apartment, locking the door. He stuffed his phone and keys into his pocket and went for a run around the block to get his mind off things for a little while. 

When James returned home only an hour passed and he was fully exhausted and sweaty, and his body hurt like hell. He panted heavily as he sat on his couch trying to catch his breath gulping down a cold glass of water. He placed the cup on the desk and stood up taking off his white shirt and throwing it on the floor. He made his way into my room and picked up fresh clothes and underwear and headed to the bathroom to take a quick shower. 

After the shower, James sat on my couch and tried on the TV. He sat there for what felt like an eternity, just watching whatever was on, flicking through different channels, trying to waste some time. He laid his head on the couch and before he knew it he was out and fell asleep. He was only awakened once again by the ringing of his phone. He squinted his eyes and picked up the phone. "James I'll be at your apartment in a few minutes. Hope you're ready for our date." He rubbed his eyes and then quickly sat up looking over at the clock. "Ah, um, yes, see you soon." He hung up and jolted up running to his bedroom. He looked through the closet for a little while trying to pick an outfit. He finally decided on a white turtle neck, some jeans and a jacket on top. He ran into the bathroom and washed his face trying to wake himself up fully. He brushed his teeth and put on some spray. He then brushed his hair and tried to style it a little but fully gave up as his hair wouldn't behave.