Chapter 2

James started to stir from his sleep, his eyes heavy as he opened them. He was disoriented and confused and it took him a few seconds to get his thoughts and memories straight until it all came tumbling down on him. His eyes blinked as he tried to rub them back alive.

James almost jumped out of his skin when he noticed that he was laying in an empty, small, and dirty room. He slowly gazed around the space as he was laid on an old dirty mattress. There was nothing else in the room apart from mould, dirt, and spider webs all over the place. The room had this stale smell that reeked. The memories of last night came flooding through and James suddenly felt tears roll down his cheeks, emitting a small sob. He tried to quiet his noise down by covering his mouth with his hand as he tried to calm himself down. After a while he gave up since it wasn't working, his sobs echoing in the small room, memories of his father's death flooding his already exhausted brain, which still felt hazy and loopy making his head pound a beat. He tried to understand what could have happened if he came home sooner or moved to distract the two men instead of being frozen in place.

'Was it my fault?'

His mind kept repeating the image of his father's lifeless body bleeding on his living room floor, seeping into the carpet below and James flinches. biting down on his lip, quivering as he tried hard not to puke from the dizziness. His father's eyes flashed right in his face as he grabbed tightly onto his curly hair in frustration. The way he watched his father die when he could have helped. This battle with his mind made James exhausted and preoccupied as he didn't hear someone enter the room. The young man was trying to calm his breathing another sob came out instead.

He shot his gaze up when he heard footsteps close in towards the mattress. He looked up and was met with a man. He quickly scooted to the wall as close as he could with his legs tied up. The older man just looked unfazed and walked up to him. "Don't come any closer!" He yelled at the guy who ignored him and leaned forward. He leaned over and untied James' legs, who strikes the man in the face pulling him away from his grasp. He scooted his feet closer, moving away from the man.

The man looked up at James, his gaze ice cold as he wiped his bleeding lip. "You're going to come with me, now!" His voice was deep and rusty, he looked in his late 40s with some grey hair. The young man shook his head at his request.

"Don't make me repeat myself." The guy said with more anger, he was an inpatient man making James nod his head as he stood up on his wobbly feet, holding the wall for support. 'It's now or never.' James saw a chance as the man was distracted by his phone going off. James knew that his plan will either go wrong or right and he was willing to risk it. He slowly walked toward the guy who looked up from his phone and when he was in a close enough range he made a run at the man and kicked him in the groin as the man came stumbling to the ground, James ran for the door. The guy groans in pain. He got out the door and slammed it shut, James thanked God as the man left the keys in the lock. When the lock clicked he grabbed the keys looked around the hallways and made a quick run for it. His heart was pumping with a rush of blood and adrenaline, his alert high for any noises. When he made it to the end of the corridor he looked to the right and left. For a few seconds processing where to go. James decides to let fate decide and made his way down the left hallway.

As he steadily made his way down the hallway he heard yelling from behind him. He looked back for a second and noticed a guy running after him with a walkie-talkie in his right hand. James made a quick run down the hall his adrenaline pushing the man over the edge trying to get away from the presented danger, trying to go as fast as his wobbly feet would allow him, the drug still coming out of his system. He almost made it to the end of the hall when he saw a man walk from the other direction towards him their eyes locking before both of them stopped in their tracks. James looked behind and back to the front, now trapped from both sides. He cursed under his breath and hurriedly looked around for any way out. He looked and noticed a door just a few feet down the hall. He ran towards it praying it was open. When the door clicked open he sighed in relief and ran inside shutting the door right away, he put the key into the lock and was so glad that it fits as he locked the door keeping the keys in. James leaned against the door to catch his breath. He heard a commotion outside the door as they tried to pry the door open.