Prologue

Lan WangJi clenched his teeth suddenly, stopping his steps and placing a hand over his meridian, where his golden core sat. His brother, who was beside him, turned quickly, reaching out and firmly gripping the younger's shoulders. The usually calm face was panicked, grey amber eyes wide.

"WangJi?"

"Brother," Lan WangJi managed, inhaling deeply and sending his spiritual energy to circulate his body.

"WangJi, are you alright? Perhaps we should head back," Lan Xichen straightened up, eyes running over his younger brother worriedly.

"I'm fine," Lan WangJi nodded, "Come. Sect Leader's are waiting,"

Lan Xichen sighed and nodded. He turned back and the two brothers resumed their stroll through the gray and black buildings, with the head of a beat motif occasionally showing its horns. When arriving at the main hall where the Sect Leader's throne-like chair was kept, the two paused outside the closed doors. Lan Xichen glanced once more at his brother, who gave a firm nod. Getting that answer, Lan Xichen walked forward, two Nie disciples pulling open the doors and announcing, "The GusuLan Sect has arrived!" before receding and closing the doors again.

Inside sat a small group of people. People who had all once known each other only by surnames, but now- were more familiar through the struggles their generation was forced to endure. Inside the room was; from the LanlingJin Sect, Jin ZiXuan, Jin Zixun, Jin Guangyao, and the Sect Leader, Jin Guangshan. From the YunmengJiang Sect was the Sect Leader Jiang Cheng. And from the QingheNie Sect was Nie Huaisang, the planner of a small banquet between gentry families and his older brother and Sect Leader, Nie Mingjue. Jiang Yanli was also supposed to attend, but her son, Jin Ling, had caught a small cold so she stayed behind and urged her husband to go without her.

When their arrival was announced, the heads turned their way, and greetings were overlapped. Lan Xichen and Lan WangJi bowed to everyone to cover all greetings, before sitting down in two empty seats behind Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang. The Jin's took the entire left side of the hall and Nie MingJue sat at his throne in the center.

"Since everyone is here now, we can begin to eat!" Nie MingJue declared, before glancing at his brother, "Huaisang,"

Nie Huaisang stood up, "Since each sect has different tastes, we made sure to make dishes with similar tastes for your comfort. For example, Sect Leader Lan, Huanguang Jun, we haven't provided any alcohol and made sure the food was blander without meat,"

Both Lan brother's bowed their heads and Nie Huaisang sat back down as servants brought in food. Once each tray was placed in front of someone, Lan Xichen smiled, "Huaisang, you've already made this banquet amazing by taking food tastes into consideration,"

Lan WangJi couldn't stop himself from adding, "Thank you for not providing any liquor. It's an unfortunate situation if we are encouraged to drink,"

Everyone was slightly startled by the words. For starters, no one dared to approach Lan WangJi, who wore a stale and cold face, with an icy aura that repelled people. Lan Xichen, while much warmer, was a sect leader, and normal disciples didn't approach him either. The only people who did were other sect leaders or close acquaintances, and those people would know that anyone from the GusuLan Sect does not drink. So, there was only one person that everyone in the room could think of when hearing the younger Lan's words. Eyes traveled to Jin ZiXun, who had a displeased expression on his face while glaring at Lan WangJi who ignored him with ease.

It was an unforgettable moment more than two years ago, soon after the end of the Sunshot Campaign. The night hunt competition at Phoenix Mountain had just ended with commotion caused by Jin ZiXun and Wei WuXian. However it had seemed to be resolved and Wei WuXian did not show up on time for the Floral Banquet, so many assumed he wouldn't show.