Chapter 16: Core of Truths

Wei WuXian could not breathe when he and the rest of their group burst into the Fragrance Hall where they had been informed Lan WangJi was brought, along with the body of the victim. Lan Xichen was running at a speed no one had ever seen a Lan move before, but of course, no one could even phantom a tease. Wei WuXian froze as he saw Lan WangJi's knocked out figure trapped tightly in golden deity binding rope while not to far was a covered figure.

No one moved.

Wen Qing, who had joined the group on their return back and disguised with purple robes of the Jiang Sect, was the first to break. She walked towards the covered body and with a deep breath pulled back the sheet.

Wei WuXian heard himself release a choked sob at the face of the young boy. How...Why would...

'Lan Zhan, oh my beloved...'

Nie MingJue scrambled forward as Lan Xichen's knees buckled, Jin Guangyao running over as well, the two sworn brothers supporting the Lan Sect Leader who looked terrified. He whimpered, "Didi...A-Zhan...no, no..." a few tears fell down the First Jade of Lan's cheeks, "He's never going to forgive himself..."

Wei WuXian looked over at his lover who was bound so tightly, Bichen far away. He moved towards the male, gently sinking to his knees, aware of the eyes of everyone on him. They were not alone in the halls, everyone had come to witness the truth of the gossip. Wei WuXian could hardly keep the regret off of his face but he reached forward, holding Lan WangJi softly and reaching up, brushing the black hair tenderly. He whispered with a trembling voice, "Lan Zhan, its not your fault,"

An accident. Truly, that was all anyone could say of the situation for no one believed that Lan WangJi would kill a child. Wen Qing covered the child up and rose to her feet, "He was killed by a clean slash to the neck..."

The stains of blood on the white robes of Lan WangJi looked too bright for Wei WuXian to be near any longer. He called to Lan disciples over with a wave of his hand, handing their heir to them too care for her. He stood up, expression hardening over and turning back. He walked forward and sank to his knees in front of Lan Xichen, "Xichen-Ge...I am not willing to wait any longer. Something has happened to excel the rates of the resentment- the thing, inside Lan Zhan. As his sect leader and his older brother, I am asking you. Will you be able to deal with the mental consquences this will have on Lan Zhan..." he paused, "Because we both know he will lose it the moment his head is cleared,"

Lan Xichen inhaled deeply, before nodding. He then mutters , "such a thing will be left into the privacy of the great clans,"

Not a single sect seemed to protest. Jin Guangshan nodded to Jin Guangyao, who rose to his feet, "Please move Xue Chengmei's body and guide the sect leaders out of the room,"

The Jin disciples act without hesitation. The dead body is moved from the room and the sect leaders of the minor sect quickly filter out.

Wei WuXian stepped back as well, walking over to Wen Qing. His eyes were hardened but they softened slightly when he caught her gaze. She whispered softly, "A-Ying, must you extract it into you?"

"There's no time to find a better way. I can control resentment, things that derive off of it. I've battled demons and yaos from the Burial Mounds for months," he speaks softly, though he knows Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli are listening from where they stand a couple steps away, "Plus, you are here,"

"A-Ying, if something goes wrong-"

"Then you are to kill me," Wei WuXian says, cutting her off.

"What?!" Jiang Cheng, Jiang Yanli, and Wen Qing all chorus.

"What happened?" Jin ZiXuan asks from where he and Nie Huaisang are bring Lan WangJi's unconscious body forward, resting him in a comfortable kneeling position.