Chapter 11: Twists and Turns

Lan WangJi turned his eyes towards the call, meeting silver with his gold. He smiled, expression softening visibly, "Wei Ying, I told you I would talk today,"

"Y-yeah, but I didn't know you meant it like this..." Wei WuXian mumbled.

"WangJi!" Lan Xichen called in shock and relief.

Lan WangJi glanced at his brother, bowing slightly, "Brother, this one apologizes. Wei Ying informed me that you were worried, that was not something I thought about,"

"And what exactly are you thinking about?" Jin Guangshan asked slowly, "You are becoming a demonic cultivator, the same as the man you argue with,"

Lan WangJi's eyes darkened and the temperature of the room dropped. Wei WuXian panicked and rushed forward, stepping in front of the male's line of sight, blocking Jin Guangshan. His voice came out worried, "Lan Zhan, let it go..."

"No," Lan WangJi stated, "I promised you,"

"You made no such promise and I never asked for one!" Wei WuXian refuted right away, sharpening his own gaze, "Lan Zhan, this is the resentment. Your self-control is weakening, do you understand?"

"Wei Ying uses it and is completely fine,"

"Oh my god," Nie MingJue muttered as gasps of understanding lit up. They now realized why Wei WuXian was unable to refute arguments to Lan WangJi last night. Because the argument the jade refuted was that Wei WuXian used it as well. Everyone knew the two of them were as strong as one another, their golden cores evenly matched since they were 15. It wouldn't be too far off for one to assume that if Wei WuXian could use resentment, Hanguang Jun could as well.

Jin ZiXuan frowned, "Hanguang Jun, A-Xian cultivation hasn't changed him as much as the resentment has you in three months,"

Lan WangJi ignored it and asked, "What is going on and why were you all accusing Wei Ying?"

Wei WuXian's heart hammered and he hissed, "Lan Zhan, I told you to drop it!!"

"Wei Ying, I told you I will not!" Lan WangJi hissed right back.

"See," Jin ZiXun scoffed, "You two are already arguing. Wei WuXian, you already deny claims of cursing me, hurting Hanguang Jun, but you've even disrespected my uncle forgetting your status in-"

"LAN ZHAN!!!" Wei WuXian screamed as Lan WangJi's Bichen shot forward towards Jin ZiXun.

Lan Xichen reacted just in time, Shuoyue unsheathing and meeting his brother's blade as Jin ZiXun yelped in shock, scrambling away from the clash. Everyone was pale, eyes staring at Lan Wangji in disbelief.

'It was true!' they realized,  'The resentment had truly changed Hanguang Jun!'

Lan WangJi's lips were twisted in a snarl and his voice was dripping in ice, "Jin ZiXun, I warned you to think before you speak, especially about Wei Ying,"

Wei WuXian's heart twisted and he inhaled. Lan WangJi was getting too far gone, Wei WuXian couldn't afford for him to just sit and let Wei WuXian remove the resentment. His eyes turned red and he hardened them in focus. He searches for the faint touch of resentment and after a few seconds finds it intertwining with spiritual energy. He extends a hand, and pulls.

Lan WangJi's feels it at once and turns his golden eyes fading to red. Wei WuXian's eyes widen in disbelief, but he continues his task, only for a burst of resentment to exceed from the other. Wei WuXian scowled in frustration. Lan WangJi was blocking him.

"Lan Zhan, you fuddy-duddy!" Wei WuXian yells, sending his own resentment out to try and over power the other.

Cultivators all had their swords out, watching the scene in disbelief. It was...unbelievable! Hanguang Jun and the Yiling Patriarch had clashed before, but never like this. It had always been tough words and piercing glares, but no one could recall a time the two were actively clashing against one another with their powers!