Chapter 1: Visitors

Wei WuXian cursed in frustration, crumbling up another piece of paper and tossing it behind him. He grabbed a fresh sheet, the red cinnabar gliding across the parchment as if it were a skating puppet controlled by the muscles in Wei WuXian's arm. The strokes were bright against the dull paper, standing out to the demonic cultivator, but he took no mind as cinnabar was cheaper than good ink. He was experimenting, as always, trying to come up with useful things for the cultivation world like the Phantom Attracting Flags and the Compass of Evil.

Those were being actively used in the cultivation world and the demonic cultivator had only found this amusing.

The money for these inventions and the mass production all went to the YunmengJiang Sect as Wei WuXian had given the blueprints to Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng sent money earned from the inventions every week to the Burial Mounds, just to make sure his brother was still able to live and get credit, though...it did not get rid of the irony of the situation. All the sects despised him and not many people outside of the Burial Mounds spoke well of him anymore, but if you were a cultivator. You'd be singing with the birds and praising the usefulness of inventions created by himself.

Wei WuXian had addressed this fact to Wen Qing numerous times, the young medic saying something along the lines of, "the cultivation world is immoral,"

Which - through multiple situations both before and after he was thrown into the Burial Mounds by Wen Chao - he agreed on. The cultivation world was extremely immoral and a power vacuum. For a bunch of sects who had been oppressed by one ruler, it didn't take long for them to just...appoint another! In hindsight, he understood the idea of kissing up to the Lanling Jin Sect since its lack of participation during the Sunshot Campaign kept the walking gold platters wealthy and with the most resources. Though it had been almost three and a half years since the war and the other Great Sects had easily regained their wealth and rebuilding had been completed, Wei WuXian's inventions helped the young Jiang Sect Leader in bringing back the wealth of the decimated sect on water.

"A-Die!" A small voice bounced off the walls of the Demon Slaughtering Cave.

Wei WuXian glanced up, turning his head to the young five-year-old who ran into the dark room, a female with bright brown hair and piercing eyes following him. They were both dressed in simple robes, grey outer and an extremely light cream color for the inner ones.

"JieJie! A-Yuan!" Wei WuXian greeted, placing the cinnabar down. He turned himself as Wen Yuan rushed forward, squealing delight as Wei WuXian lifted him up to sit in the demonic cultivator's lap.

This child was the youngest Wen Remnant here, Wen Yuan. Or in other words, Wei WuXian's unofficial son. It was never properly discussed, but one day, Wen Yuan had called him 'A-Die' and no one corrected him. Sure, Wei WuXian had stilled and his brain had shut down, but he didn't refute it, not minding being the kids father figure if he desired.

Wen Qing stopped a few feet away, glancing behind Wei WuXian with a confused gaze, "Why are the papers floating?"

Wei WuXian turned back and his eyes grew wide with surprise. The scraps of paper he had tossed over his shoulder were being passed around between a few pale faced spirits. Upon his seclusion in YiLing, one of the many things Wei WuXian had done was communicate with the Burial Mounds and search for the few spirits that had helped him during those abhorrent three months. The Burial Mounds cared for him, he knew that. The spirits did as well, the ones that he had befriended, and they helped protect the Wen's and sometimes just to keep him company. Three of these spirits were playing around like children, making it appear to Wen Qing that the paper was just floating.

Wei WuXian snorted amused, turning back to the older, "It's just a few ghosts playing around,"

Wen Qing understood and rolled her eyes, before hardening her eyes on Wei WuXian, "Come out. You've been barricading yourself for too long,"