Chapter 5: Defence

The moment the words escaped his lips, the Sect Leaders were on their feet, hands gripping their sword handles. A few had unsheathed their swords half-way, the silver gleaming menacingly. Wei WuXian straightened up from his bow. His robe fluttered as he stepped in softly, well aware of every eye watching him. When he reached just three steps away from Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen, he spoke again, eyes sparkling with amusement.

"I see the welcome party hasn't changed, "

"Wei WuXian!!" Jin Guangshan's voice shook with rage, "Have you forgotten that you aren't supposed to step out of Yiling for another year!"

"Nice to meet you too, Sect Leader Jin, " Wei WuXian greeted, giving a small bow.

"You dare show up here?!" a male dressed in the Lanling Jin robes growled.

Wei WuXian stared at him for a few seconds blankly. He then glanced over at Jin ZiXuan, who was the only person other than Nie Huaisang, and the gentry Sect Leaders to not draw a sword. Instead, the heir was standing rather calmly, looking at Wei WuXian with slight surprise. Ever since Jin ZiXuan had invited him to Jin Ling's one month celebration and Wei WuXian saw the tender and gentle way he would gaze at Jiang Yanli, he decided that Jin ZiXuan wasn't too bad. They were on good terms, Jin ZiXuan never holding Wei WuXian to anything of their youth, nor minding the cultivation method he used. Plus, Wei WuXian could never forget the way Jin ZiXuan had defended him in front of everyone, including his Father, at the banquet two years ago after a failed assassination attempt.

When he met the young master's gaze, Jin ZiXuan gave a small bow of the head, which Wei WuXian returned before asking, "ZiXuan, who is that again?"

Jin ZiXuan failed to hold back an amused smile, "It's ZiXun,"

"You- how can you forget me?! You cursed me!" Jin ZiXun roared.

Wei WuXian turned his eyes to Jin ZiXun and quickly understood. This was the man that ambushed him two years ago. The male who had been ready to pelt him, Wen Ning, and Lan WangJi with arrows.  Wei WuXian decided to ignore him, turning his attention elsewhere. Jin Guanyao stepped up, "Young Master Wei. Why have you shown up here after knowing you're not supposed to leave Yiling?"

"I didn't come here to casually make you all act like crazy people if that what you're thinking, " Wei WuXian laughed slightly, "I was invited and requested to be here,"

"By who?" Su She scoffed.

Lan Xichen spoke out, "By me,"

There was a moment of stunned silence.

Then in a flash, a sword was coming towards Wei WuXian from the side. Wei WuXian glanced over, about to attack, when he saw another sword glare. He quickly twisted on his heel, Jiang Cheng easily responding to the movement they had practiced together numerous times as children, getting a clear block of the blade. Glaring at the Sect Leader that had tried to attack Wei WuXian, Jiang Cheng shoved the male back and sheathed Sandu fiercely.

Another stunned silence.

"Sect Leader Jiang- Sect Leader Lan! Wei WuXian has manipulated them!" someone shrieked.

Wei WuXian looked towards this brother with surprise, "I have? Jiang Cheng, why didn't you tell me? I could've been entertaining myself!"

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes, "Can you even manipulate living people?"

"I don't know, " Wei WuXian shrugged, "I'd rather never know because that would be mean experimenting on living people, which is absolutely inhuman,"

A scoff, "As if you don't do inhumane things already!"