Chapter 3: Back Outside

"Are you sure you don't want A-Ning to join you?" Wen Qing frowned, watching as Wei WuXian picked scrolls from his shelves and a few of which were floating in mid air (they were being held by spirits, she knew this, but couldn't see them. The spirits seemed to be hiding themselves with the sect leaders and their disciples here. Even the four disciples who visited every two weeks had never seen them.

Wei WuXian nodded without looking back, "Yes. Plus, it's going to be an uproar when everyone finds out I'm back when I'm not supposed to be. It'll be better if A-Ning stays here to protect if anyone were to try something,"

Wen Qing sighed, eyes softening slightly as Wei WuXian turned back after tucking away any important things into his robes. Wei WuXian caught her look and walked forward, placing his hands firmly on the female's shoulder, "Jiejie, if you ever need me...you know how to contact me,"

Wen Qing briefly touched the bracelet clasped around her wrist. Wei WuXian smiled as he noticed, pulling out a silver chain necklace with a pendant that wasn't small, but overly large. It was a simple red pendant cradled securely by black metal leaves. This pendent was connected with Wei WuXian like a spiritual tool, but was used for communicating with those that bonded to the communication devices Wei WuXian had provided for them. Currently, it was only used to communicate with Wen Qing and the Jiang siblings.

When the Jiang sibling's would call, the black leaves would emit a faint purple glow and light scent of lotus. When Wen Qing would speak to him, the glow was red with the faint scent of firewood. It was easily one of his favorite and most complicated inventions. There's a reason he only made one of the necklaces for himself and provided bracelets- which were simpler, for anyone else.

Wen Qing allowed herself to give a small smile and Wei WuXian tucked the necklace to hide again. He didn't need anyone to think it was some demonic weapon. The two siblings walked out of the cave where everyone was waiting. The Lan and Jiang disciples were waiting at the front of the path with Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen. Wei WuXian exited the cave and was met with the slightly worried faces of the Wens.

He smiled and placed a hand on Granny Wen's shoulder, "I'll be okay everyone. Just remember to alert me if anything is wrong. A-Ning,"

He gave his little brother a tight hug. Pulling back he patted the younger's cheek softly and smiled, "You'll do great if anything were to happen. Don't worry,"

Wei WuXian glanced towards Wen Yuan, tenderly reaching up and running his hands through the boy's hair. The young child was asleep in Uncle Six's arms, the best time for Wei WuXian to descend down the mountain. If Wen Yuan knew he was leaving, he would beg for Wei WuXian to stay or for Wen Yuan to come along. And neither of those options were possible. Wei WuXian inhaled heavily, licking his bottom lip in worry. It pained him to leave the boy who he had come to treat as his own son, it pained him to leave the people who had become his family. And it wasn't like the Jiangs, Wen Qing and Wen Ning weren't at all like Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng. Perhaps it was a bit inconsiderate, but he found it easier to freely address the Wen siblings as his own, rather than the Jiangs.

A voice whispered in his head, 'That's because I was their protector, their shield,'

He was the ward of their Father. He was the male that was to be their subordinate, but had grown much too close for that term to be used freely. He knew, deep down in his heart, he was aware that Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng recognized him as their brother, not a servant. They had reassured him of it countless times, especially the older. But Wei WuXian had always known where he stood in the sect...he knew his place that was bestowed upon him graciously by Yu ZiYuan and Jiang Fengmian.

His somber thoughts must have leaked into his expression because a hand was on his shoulder along with the gentle call, "A-Ying,"

Wei WuXian looked towards the medic, who gave him a worried look, "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

Gold Blood Eyes ||Mo Dao Zu Shi||On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara