(4)

Von ended up going to jail after his trial because the police said there was enough evidence to prove he was guilty but they still needed to find at least one witness to determine how long he'd be in there. The day he left I cried the whole time cus I was so angry with him. Now, 6 months had passed and Von had kept his promise of calling me 3 times every day and writing letters. Pete was still trying to figure out visitation rights since Dayvon was involved but he said he didn't know how it would go. Von was looking at 15-25 max. I'd missed him ever since the day he left. On the day they came to get him he told me, "Laiya I preciate everything you eva did for me and I'm sorry I put you thru so much. Especially dis. Ion wantchu waitin for me the whole time tho. You my lil rida and I love you ma. Stay strong, you gotta do dis for Dayvon" His words played in my head just about every day.

One day I heard my phone ringing then I picked it up and heard "You have a collect call from "Von" at the Cook County Correctional Center. To accept this call press 5. To refuse this-" I pressed 5 and said "Hello?" Von: "Hey baby." Me: "Hi." Von: "Whatchu doin?" Me: "Nun I was just sleep.." Von: "Oh I can call later if you want me to." Me: "Uhnt uhn. I'm finna talk to you." He started laughing then he said "Ight den. Dayvon been ight?" Me: "Yeah he can walk on his own now. He still be fallin a lil bit but he got it." Von: "What bout him talkin?" Me: "It's a lot better. He sayin Mama more soooo" He laughed and said "Dats just cus I ain't there." Me: "Mhm. I can finally get him to talk to me without you shuttin it down 😭" Von: "Oh I forgot to tell you dis da other day. You remember I told you dat dese mfs was finna move dat old man out my room?" Me: "Da one dat called you Grandson?" Von: "Mhm." Me: "Yeah I remember." Von: "Guess who tf they put me in here wit" Me: "Who?" Von: "Loc" Me: "Fr?" Von: "Yeah. He said he ain't got much time left in here tho. He was pissed off when he found out I was in there." Me: "Do he know why you in there?" Von: "Mhm. Dat pissed him off even more" Me: "I hope he whoop yo ass." Von: "Yeah right" Me: "Ughhh I miss you... Fuckin dummy." Von: "I miss you too lil ma. You get dat letter I sent you?" Me: "Not yet. I think the mail supposed to come sometime today." Von: "Good. Read dat shit" Me: "What it say?" Von: "Just wait til you get it. I ain't gon tell you." Me: "Nigga you act like issa surprise." Von: "Maybe it is." Me: "How? Yeen got shit in there" Von: "Nigga issa gift of words damn. You ungrateful as fuck." I started laughing then he said "I should hang up on yo ass cus only one of us can call back" Me: "I will block dis number lil boy." Von: "I'm older den you lil girl. And if you block dis number imma send yo ass an essay cussin you out. I'm really a gangsta I'll whoop yo ass." Me: "You're older by 3 months love, relax 🤣"

We stayed on the phone for as long as we could until he had to go. Von: "Imma call you back in like 2 hours. You betta pick up too." Me: "I will baby." Von: "Ight. I love you lil ma." Me: "I love you too." I hung up and rolled over then I sighed and stared at the ceiling. I got up a few minutes later to go get Dayvon from Momma's house and right before I walked out to the car, I seen the mailman coming. He handed me the mail and I said "Thank you." I seen a letter from Von so I guessed that it was the one he was talking about earlier. I got in the car and went to Momma's house then I got out and knocked on the door. Daddy opened it and said "Hey" He gave me a hug and a kiss on the forehead then I said "Hi. Where's he at?" Dayvon came running around the corner then he said "Mama" I picked him up and said "Hi baby" I kissed his cheek and said "Mama missed you stinky butt." Mani came downstairs and said "Heyyy." Me: "Hey." I put Dayvon down and she gave me a hug then she said "What's that?" She pointed to the letter in my hand then I said "Issa letter from Von. I ain't open it yet." She started squealing and clapping then she said "Can I open it?" Me: "Yeah ion care." I handed it to her and she tore into it then I sat in the floor and played with Dayvon. Mani: "Ew, ew, ew, ew. Take dis shit. Ewwww" Me: "What?" Mani: "Read it." I took the letter from her and started reading it then I said "Oh... oh wow.. Oh WOW. Um... Sorry?" Mani: "Dats what y'all be on? Ew.. In jail tho" Me: "No.. Usually he be tellin me about all the drama in there. This is new 😂" Mani: "Ew I shoulda neva read dat." Me: "Ugh I miss him." Mani: "Bitch he said he was gon-" Me: "Aht aht aht. Shhh." Daddy: "Ion wanna hear dat shit. Keep it to ya self" Mani: "He said her coochie look good, taste good, smell good and he was gon fuck he heart out her chest wheneva he got out. Dats gon be a lot of sexual frustration too. Lai you betta start plannin yo funeral." Me: "Mani stop 😭" Daddy got up and said "I'd bleach my eardrums if I could."