01. camp

✧✧✧

Cordelia could confidently say that her life was pretty good.

She could have been cursed with bad parents or no parents at all. But she had two amazing ones that were always there for her.

Regulus had always been in her life, but he and Akira only got married when Cordelia was nine years old. It had been a small wedding, but definitely the best day of all three of their lives. Cordelia Miller became Cordelia Miller-Black.

Cordelia's mother had gifted the family with a Celestial Bronze dagger in order to keep her safe. Regulus and Akira trained their daughter in both magic and combat. They told her all about Camp Half-Blood and what she would face when she finally went there.

They wanted her to be prepared.

When Akira moved to America, he began to take his mother's threat seriously. He hadn't heard from her, but he knew that bad things were bound to happen. With his status among the Death Eaters and his daughter's mother, they attracted trouble.

When Cordelia was eleven, they finally decided it was time to go to Camp Half-Blood.

They had been hunted by enough monsters that they knew they weren't entirely safe anymore. Not that they were to start with.

Akira drove his daughter to Montauk to where he was told the Camp was located.

"How much farther?" Cordelia asked, for about the tenth time in twenty minutes.

"It's not far," Akira replied.

"You said that last time."

"Yeah, but this time it's true."

Cordelia rolled her eyes and gave her father a look.

But then she saw it. The pine tree at the top of the hill that she had been told about so many times.

There was nothing particularly special about it, but to Cordelia it looked amazing.

Akira parked the car away from it and then got out, Cordelia following him. She grabbed a backpack full of a couple extra clothes and a pair of shoes.

She walked forward and saw the valley that was beyond the hill. In the valley was more buildings that she was willing to count, along with strawberry fields, an arena, and much more.

"Wow, that's amazing!" Cordelia said.

"What's amazing?" Akira asked, squinting his eyes as if it would help him see it better.

"What's your business here?" A girls voice said. Cordelia's eyes snapped to the source of the voice, seeing a girl about her age, with black hair.

Akira was the one to step forward and speak. "I'm looking for Camp Half-Blood. I know it's around here."

"My daughter is a demigod. Her mother told me so when she was born." Akira said. "I've come to take her to camp to keep her safe."

The girl looked at Cordelia and nodded. "What's your name?"

"Cordelia Miller." She said confidently.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Silena," she smiled. "Follow me, we'll take you to camp."

"What camp?" Akira asked, exasperated.

"Camp Half-Blood can't be seen by regular mortals unless they're given permission." Silena said.

Akira seemed offended, as if he thought he should get an exception and shouldn't be considered a mortal.

"I'll see you later, Dad," Cordelia said. Akira smiled and pulled her into a hug.

"I'll see you later, Lia," he replied. Cordelia squeezed her father tight, knowing she wouldn't see him for a while.

"I have to go now," Akira said. "I'll see you after the summer."

Cordelia smiled at her father once more.

"When you get back Regulus and I have a surprise for you," Akira whispered.

She was about to question him, but he began to walk away back to the car.

"Bye, Dad!" Cordelia shouted after him.

He smiled brightly and waved. She turned back around and faced the girl from before, Silena.

"Hi," she smiled. Silena chuckled and beckoned for Cordelia to follow her.

"Travis!" Silena shouted. A boy with curly brown hair looked over at them. "Stop trying to steal from the camp store and go train or something?"

The boy, Travis, smiled sheepishly and did as she said.

"What were you doing by the border? Do you always have guard duty or something?"

"No, not really," Silena said. "I just like to get away from everyone else every once in a while."

Cordelia nodded, and they continued to walk.

"Your father seems to know a lot about camp already," Silena said as they began to walk towards all the buildings. "It's unusual for parents to drop their kids off. Usually a satyr finds them and brings them to camp."

Cordelia nodded. "When my mom gave me to my father she explained everything. I think."

"Most gods don't do that. They just dump their children on doorsteps and leave."

"Well that's exactly what my mom did. She just left a convenient note."

Silena smiled slightly before laughing.

"Just so you know, camp is a bit of a mess right now," she said. "The gods are having a bit of a mini war and everything's a mess."

"What happened?"

"Well Zeus's master bolt got stolen and he thinks Poseidon stole it, so now he's taking his anger out on Poseidon's illegal son."

Cordelia raised her eye brows and gave Silena a quizzical look. The girl looked amused before laughing.

"Yeah, demigod world is always kind of a mess if you think about it," she said.

"Sounds like a lot of fun," Cordelia commented.

"I'll take you to Cabin Eleven to put your stuff down, then I'll give you a tour and take you to see the orientation film." Silena said.

"There's an orientation film?" Cordelia asked.

"Yeah, it's not very helpful though. All it does is say how safe camp is while showing kids falling off of the lava rock climbing wall."

Cordelia let out a laugh that sounded like a tea kettle, causing Silena to laugh as well.

Once she recovered she said, "Also what's at Cabin Eleven?"

"Cabin Eleven is Hermes's cabin but it's also where unclaimed demigods go."

Silena stopped and stared at Cordelia with wide eyes.

"What did I do?"

She looked down at her clothes to see if maybe she spilled something, and saw that instead of the jeans and sweater she had arrived in, she was now wearing a long white dress that reached her ankles. Around her upper arms were gold bands and she had a beautiful necklace of gold flowers draped around her neck. Her hair that was previously straight and falling down her back, was now braided with gold ribbons.

"Well," Silena said, looking slightly shocked. "Looks like we won't be heading to Cabin Eleven after all."

"What?"

"We'll be headed to Cabin Ten," Silena was now smiling proudly. "Welcome to my cabin, the cabin of Aphrodite, goddess of love."

a/n:

el oh el i noticed a mistake in this chapter so i had to fix it

ok so i made cordelia a child of aphrodite because i absolutely love them and i also haven't seen too many of them. ALSO while i do love rick riordan, he did the aphrodite kids dirty and i intend to change that