06. new friends

✧✧✧

Connor and Cordelia ended up commandeering the car, tying up Travis, and throwing him in the back seat. Since she had been taught to drive over the course of their road trip, Cordelia took over driving and turned them around.

They had now arrived at the convenience store in the town behind them. Connor had about five dollars and was to occupy the cashier while Cordelia and Travis stole some food.

As Cordelia was slipping some Arizona tea into her jacket, she heard the distant noise of the TV, which caught her attention.

"One of the three teens involved in a peculiar police chase earlier this week has been identified." The news reporter said. Cordelia tapped Travis's arm and pointed at the TV. "Cordelia Miller-Black has been identified as one of the teens. It is unknown who the girls' parents are, but it is believed she is from New York City, as a coffee shop owner said that she often saw Cordelia in her shop."

Travis rolled his eyes.

"Officials have said that she, and the other unidentified teens should be considered highly dangerous and are not to be approached. If you see these teens, you are to immediately contact the authorities"

"What bullshit." Travis muttered.

Cordelia glanced to the side and saw a girl, about a year younger than them, staring at them.

The girl was eating chips and had frozen with one half in her mouth. She had short, ginger hair with shocks of green in them, and bright, bluebell eyes.

She began to glance back and forth between the TV, and Cordelia and Travis.

"Wait- you're-"

"Shhhh." Cordelia lept forward and put a hand over her mouth.

"No wait," the girl said with a frown. "I saw the news broadcasting from the other day, you guys had like swords and stuff! But when I told my dad, he didn't believe me! He said He couldn't see them!"

Travis and Cordelia exchanged a glance.

"You saw the sword?" Travis questioned. The girl nodded. "Say, do you only have one parent?"

The girl furrowed her brows in confusion, but nodded.

"Do you have like ADHD, or dyslexia?" Cordelia asked.

She nodded again. "Both."

Travis clapped his hands. "Welp! How do you feel about going on a road trip with us?"

Cordelia sent him a look, but before she could say anything, the girl replied. "Sure. Why not?"

"See!" Travis said excitedly. "She wants to come!"

"What's your name?" Cordelia asked her.

"Kayla. Kayla Knowles."

"Okay, Kayla, have you ever learned about Greek Gods?" 

"Oh yeah. My dad is a little obsessed with them. He taught me all about them. It's almost as if he thinks they're real!"

"Well..." Travis said. "He's not wrong."

Kayla's eyes widened. "Wait what."

"If you're willing to come with us, we'll explain everything in the car." Cordelia said. Kayla nodded and stuffer her bag of chips in her pocket.

The three exited the store to find Connor standing in the parking lot, tapping his foot.

"Took you long enough." He then noticed Kayla. "Who's this?"

Travis opened his mouth to introduce the girl, but she beat him to it. "I'm Kayla."

"She might be a demigod." Cordelia said.

"A what?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Wait! I need to call my dad!" Kayla said, running off to a payphone and pulling some quarters out of her pockets.

"Who do you think her godly parent is?" Travis said. 

"I don't know." Connor shrugged. "And honestly, I don't really care."

Travis laughed.

And while they were laughing, Cordelia noticed that a man and a woman about twenty feet away were looking at them and on the phone with someone. The woman looked like she was on the verge of tears as she spoke on the phone.

"Shit." Cordelia said.

"What is it?" Connor asked. He then followed her gaze and saw the couple. "Oh. That's not good. Hey short stack!" He called to Kayla. "Hurry up your phone call!"

Kayla sent him a glare but turned back to the phone and hung up a moment later. 

"What is it?"

"People are calling the police on us."

"Oh fun."

The four climbed into the car, with Travis in the drivers seat, and they quickly drove away. But Kayla, being smart, pointed out that the people that called the cops could also tell them what car they were driving. 

So they ditched the car and Travis stole a new one, that was a lot faster and would be able to get them away from the police faster. 

Thanks to the new car, the police drove right past them and didn't even spare them a glance.

"What idiots." Cordelia tutted. 

"Well it's to our advantage that they're idiots, don't you think?" Travis replied.

"Right you are, Travis. Right you are."

a/n:

new character!

so kayla knowles is canadian and therefore wouldn't be found on the east coast, but i don't care. this is fanfiction and i can do what i want.