30. birthdays are the best! (not)

✧✧✧

On the morning of March 1st, Lia sat on her bed, monitoring a sleeping Elizabeth, waiting for Veda to return from the kitchens with a cake. Now you might think that eating cake at eight in the morning isn't the best idea, but sometimes it's necessary. And it's especially necessary on birthdays.

The cake that Veda brought had beautiful decorations of quidditch players, dragons, and hippogriffs.

"The house elves did all this?" Lia asked.

Veda nodded with a smile. "They're brilliant. They managed to whip this together in about five minutes."

"Really? That's impressive." Lia said, raising her eyebrows.

"Magic," Veda whispered with jazz hands. Lia rolled her eyes. They set up the cake in the middle of the room, so it would be one of the first things Elizabeth saw when she woke up.

Elizabeth shifted under her covers and slowly sat up, her eyes only half open. They widened when she spotted the cake. "Oh. My. God. This is amazing!" She hopped out of bed, any tiredness had been washed away.

There wasn't much in the way of presents, just a couple little things, but Elizabeth appreciated it nonetheless.

They ate about half of the cake before deciding to save the rest for later. The trek down to the Great Hall was long, the cake in their stomachs weighing them down.

Elizabeth wrenched the door open, her face lighting up when she saw Ron at the Gryffindor table. She skipped over, Lia and Veda following skeptically.

"Hi Ron!" Elizabeth beamed. She pulled out a small box and placed it in front of him. "Happy Birthday!"

Ron stared at it for a moment before looking to her. "Thanks."

Elizabeth's smile faltered but it stayed up nonetheless.

"Don't be rude, Ronald!" Hermione smacked his shoulder.

"Happy Birthday, Lizzie," Ron said quietly. He obviously hadn't gotten anything for Elizabeth. Lia glared at him. "Errol brought this for you." Ron extended a neatly wrapped present to Elizabeth. She stood there for a moment longer, hoping that Ron had a present for her as well.

"Do you need something else?" Harry asked. Hermione smacked his arm.

"Don't be rude," Lia said.

"I'm not being rude, I'm just asking a question."

"And your question was rude."

"No it wasn't!"

"It kind of was," Veda chimed in.

"We don't need anything else," Elizabeth said, her lips turned into a frown. "We'll leave you alone. Happy Birthday, Ronald." Elizabeth began to walk over to the Slytherin table. Lia sent one last glare to Harry and Ron, and a smile to Hermione, before following.

"Don't think too much about it," Veda said. "You shouldn't let them ruin your birthday."

Elizabeth nodded, but didn't say anything as she piled some food onto her plate. She unwrapped the present to reveal a couple bars of chocolate and a worn out sweater.