20. murder

just started learning about old white dude laws in physics, none of it makes sense. isaac newton died a virgin and i'm expected to not find that funny, that's what he gets for inventing calculus.

✧✧✧

The first quidditch game of the year had rolled around, and Lia stood in the stands excitedly. Elizabeth and Veda weren't so excited since it was cold and they didn't want to be there, but Lia had physically dragged them to the game.

It was Slytherin versus Gryffindor and Lia wanted nothing more than to win.

Madam Hooch had a moment to speak to the captains before she blew the whistle, starting the game.

"And the Quaffle is taken immediately by Angelina Johnson of Gryffindor — what an excellent Chaser that girl is, and rather attractive, too —"

"JORDAN!"

"Sorry, Professor." Lee Jordan said from his place on the stands, Professor McGonagall monitoring him closely.

The boy went on word after word saying every single thing that was happening on the field, while adding in his own commentary, it was actually quite impressive.

"GRYFFINDORS SCORE!" Lee shouted.

Lia groaned in annoyance. She had already pretty much accepted that they were going to lose.

She had plans of watching the Slytherin players and seeing how they functioned as a team, but there wasn't much to see. All the Slytherins were playing their own games and weren't communicating very well.

So she decided to watch the Gryffindor team, specifically Fred and George Weasley, the beaters. Lia already thought she was a pretty good beater, but watching the twins was amazing. It was thrilling to see how well the two worked together, effectively keeping their teammates safe.

"Slytherin in possession," Lee Jordan said, "Chaser Pucey ducks two Bludgers, two Weasleys, and Chaser Bell, and speeds toward the — wait a moment — was that the Snitch?"

A murmur went through the crowd as they searched for is. The Slytherin seeker Terrence Higgs had seen it, and was chasing after it. Harry was about to grab it, when Marcus Flint purposefully blocked him.

But in all the confusion the snitch had been lost.

"I really hate how this team plays," Lia vocalized. "I mean they don't play by the rules at all."

"Well yeah, Slytherins always play dirty," an older Slytherin girl said from behind her. "We don't all like it, but it helps us win so it's okay."

Lia frowned at that and turned back to the game.

"You don't have to like it, kid. But if you wanna play on this team, you gotta play like them." The girl pointed to Marcus.

"So — after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating —" Lee spoke over them.

"Jordan!" Professor McGonagall said sternly.

"I mean, after that open and revolting foul..."

"Jordan, I'm warning you—"

"All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I'm sure, so a penalty to Gryffindor, taken by Spinnet, who puts it away, no trouble, and we continue play, Gryffindor still in possession."

After a while, Lia looked up to the sky to see that Harry's broom was bucking wildly, as if it was trying to throw him off. Soon, people all over the stands had begun to point up at him, gasping as he was now dangling by his arms.