C H A P T E R 4 0

R E T U R N I N G to her new home, after having spent the past week at her parents, Hoor sighed

R E T U R N I N G to her new home, after having spent the past week at her parents, Hoor sighed. The past week had been full of bliss. Her parents had forgiven her, albeit for a crime that she had never committed. Not wanting to fight with her emotionally stressed parents, Hoor had not mentioned the issue. And instead, basked in the love and warmth she had been receiving. After all it was something she had missed.

However, in the midst of all this, she had not forgotten the piece of paper that she had found. It was just that she did not think of it as right to ask Mustafa in her parent's home. So she had chosen to wait till she came back. And now standing in their large bedroom, Hoor let out a shaky breath. Conversing with herself on how to ask Mustafa. On one hand, she felt embarrassed that she could not read a single word. And on the other, she felt it wrong to read something that belonged to her elder brother. Her dead elder brother.

"Hoor waha kyun khadi hai ap? Kuch chahiye?" Mustafa inquired.
Looking up from his laptop screen. His fingers pausing on the keys.
"J-ji," Hoor replied.
Mustafa nodded, signalling for her to come over.
"Bataiye, kia kaam hai?" His voice barely above a whisper.
"Woh na janaazay walay din humein eik kagahz mila tha. Ap parh kar suna dein," she handed him the thin paper.
Looking at him with eyes full of curiosity.

Mustafa ran his eyes across the words etched in blue ink. Stopping for a second, to look at Hoor.
"Hoor bas eik receipt hai. Ali nai kuch liya ho ga. Ap eik cup chai pila dein," he steered the conversation.
Hoor, finally having her question answered, nodded. Heading out of the room.

Meanwhile, Mustafa grabbed his phone. Sending a picture of the bill to his new assistant. Ordering him to check the shop out. Perhaps this was the piece to the mystery. This paper would help him prove the innocence of his wife. And he would be dammed if he let a chance handed to him by Allah, slip away.

It was that very evening, when he and Hoor sat down on the dinner table, that the topic of the bangles was brought up. Hoor was scooping up the rice for Mustafa, adding the lentils on top. While Mustafa grabbed the jug of water that was within his reach, pouring some in a glass for her. They worked like a well-oiled machine. Adjusting and understanding each other without a word.

To the world they seemed perfect. But it was only them that knew how much work they were putting in to maintain a healthy relationship. Many times, the two would be on the verge to have a huge fight. It was expected. They had married people totally different from them. It came as no surprise that in each step, they were having to compromise.

"Waisay, mein nai kabhi socha nahi tha keh eik chor keh saath khana khaun gi," Munazza spoke in a nonchalant tone.
Not bothered with the reactions of those around her.
"Sahi kaha ammi. Hum tou samjha karte thay Mustafa ki biwi bari achi jo gi. Parhi likhi, modern. With a career many would envy," Shahrukh, who was jealous of Mustafa, could not hold back.
Although, most of his words sounded like gibberish to Hoor, she still felt insulted.

This was the home of her husband. Each day however, it seemed less like it. To Hoor, it looked as if she and Mustafa were living in Abdul-Rehman chachu's home. She felt like an intruder. And her husband, tried to stand up for her. Yet his love of family, caused him to hold back a little.

"Waisay Hoor bhabi, ap na ab kaday wapis kardein. Kia hai aglat hafte meri shaadi hai. Tou woh meray pass honay chahiye. After all, I am Rizwan's wife," Rumaisa uttered.
Forgetting that no one knew of her marriage.
Thankfully, her mother caught on.
"Rumi ka matlab hai, uska honay wala shohar hai. Iss sai pehlay tumhe ghar sai nikala jai, behtar hai apni auqat mein ajao!"

Mustafa, who had been silent, looked up from his dinner. It turned out that these people had forgotten where they came from. Threatening to kick his wife out of his home. Who did they think they were? Did they forget where they actually came from? He had had enough. Mustafa's patience was already running thin. But for them to have the audacity to act better than his wife. It was the last straw.

"Shahrukh?" Hearing his gruff voice, everyone went silent.
"Ji Mustafa?" Shahrukh replied, a bit sceptical.
"Kal sai office anay ki zaroorat nahi!" Mustafa uttered.
He had no fear now. All the years that his uncle's family had lived off of him. His uncle's children had studied in the best schools thanks to his parents hard work. So he had paid off his debt to them.

Shahrukh was baffled. How could his cousin kick him out like that? He was the CEO. Not some random clerk.
"Par Mustafa bhai, mein eik CEO hun. You have no power to kick me out". Shahrukh replied smugly. Having forgotten that Mustafa still owned the company. And held 75% shares in his hands. Giving him the power to dismiss someone.
"Oh! But I have. I am still the chairperson of the company. Not to forget that I still own seventy-five  percent of the shares. So I alone have the power to dismiss you! You may visit the office and grab your last cheque!" His stern voice was a dead giveaway that this matter was not going to be up for debate.

His attention then diverted towards his uncle.
"Chachu mein yeh faisla karna tou Rumaisa ki shaadi keh baad chahta tha. Par ab mein majboor hun". He shook his head. As if regretting having to make that decision.
"Kia matlab beta?" Abdul-Rehman gulped.
Not liking the way his nephew was looking at him.
"Ap kal subah apnay khandaan keh saath idhr sai rukhsat ho jana. Aur han I will no longer be giving you any monthly allowance," his attention, directed back towards his dinner.

Abdul-Rehman and Munazza felt as if the sky had fallen on them. In their ego and greed for power, they had forgotten all that they had was not their own. Instead it was due to the child they had ignored. They had misused their love for him.

"Par beta hum nai tumhein bachpan sai-" Munazza tried to guilt trip him.
"Jitna apnay bachpan mein kia tha, woh ap aur mein dono jantay hai. Mein nai apka ehsaan wapis kar dia hai. Mein Rumaisa keh jhut par parda daal kar akhri ehsaan kar raha hun!" Mustafa shook his head.
"KAISA JHUT?" Rumaisa inquired, furious.
"Wohi jo chupane keh liye tumne mujh par aur Hoor par jhuta ilzaam lagay tha!" His tone challenging.

In that moment, the entire family understood. They had thought they were playing Mustafa. When in truth, he knew of their games. And was instead toying with them. They knew that now that they had fallen from his graces, nothing could help them. Hoor, would be of no help. No matter how kind and generous, the girl was not foolish enough to go against her mijazi khuda.

●●●●¤¤●●●●
Phew! Talk about a plot twist.
Musi ain't come to play.
Everybody better start praying if they ever wronged Hoor. A crazy man coming after you!