45 | A Final Conversation

"Does it hurt? Dying?"
"It's just like falling asleep."

They said that those who had no fear held towards death had nothing to fear. That those who welcomed death with open arms left no fear in their place in the overworld.

Aurora had never been afraid of death. She had tried to speed up the process multiple times, her quirk the only thing dragging her back to the land of the living. 

She didn't expect death to be so peaceful though. Floating around in the inky blackness was suffocating, yet surprisingly relaxing. She let out what would've been a breath, her feet hesitating as they somehow found solid ground. Blinking had made no impact on her vision, so her eyes hadn't been ready when two very bright armchairs appeared.

Only one was vacant.

"I had expected you sooner." The woman spoke first, her voice airy and slightly echoed, as if it was not there.

"Well, I did try to arrive sooner, however, life decided to fuck my holiday plans for quite some time." Aurora drawled, ungracefully throwing herself into the armchair, sinking slightly. "Didn't expect to see you here. Kinda disappointed in not meeting Satan." The woman's eyes drooped slightly.

"Did you not want to see me?" 

"I lost you a long time ago, do you not think I have gotten over you?" Aurora quirked an eyebrow.

"And still after all that time, you visited me every year."

It was here when Aurora's facade broke, her cunning grin shattering, replaced by a wall of tears.

"You broke me." She whispered. "Both you and him. You both broke me."

The woman hesitated as if she was gathering the strength or the words to continue. "...I know. I know it broke you. And for that, I'm truly sorry. But would you ever go back, and change what happened? Look at where you at because of it."

Her words came out soft, no desperation etched into the corners nor in the painting. Aurora shifted, staring hard at a spot in the black surrounding them.

"No." She decided. "I wouldn't."

Silence fell between the two, and for once, Aurora's was not rushing from thought to thought, attempting to form a plan or idea.

"You died a more noble death than many before you." The woman stared at her companion, who had begun to cry at the statement. Her eyes widened, she had not intended to make her cry-

Aurora let out a wet laugh, dragging her hand beneath her nose. "I would not call it noble."

"I would." Aurora's tear-stricken face swivelled to the sound of a new voice, her body twisting in the chair slightly.

"Nana," She breathed, leaping over the back of the chair and into the heroine's arms. They stumbled back ever so slightly, but the older woman caught herself, rocking them side to side instead.

"Haven't talked to you for a while, pipsqueak. I'm proud of your sacrifice." 

"Yeah well, I had an errand to run. Question; why are you so short?" Aurora gasped as an elbow dug its way to her ribcage and let out a loud laugh, throwing her head back.

___________

If Mina had to describe the situation at hand, the words she would use were 'A chemical dumpster fire mixed in with the Kaminari microwave accident of '17.'

The world had fallen to chaos when Aurora had gone down, Shinsou's bullet wounded transferred to her own body. He had jolted up a second after her friend had gone down, screaming at the corpse of his sister that laid next to him.