23

Maxine.

Marth didn't say much at the pub. She looked out of place as she downed her second beer. I've asked her if she wanted to go, but each time she shot me down, insisting we stay because we don't know the next time I get to see my friends. I am impressed to see her play pool and win with a cast on her arm. She gets along with Liz, but I know both women are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Liz is a devoted Christian who believes everything is a sin, so no doubt she has her opinions about Marth and me, and she's a part of the church's worship team. Liz is a stellar example of what a 'good girl' is and should be.

She stays out of the drama but isn't afraid to get her hands dirty for her friends. Liz doesn't abandon people no matter how difficult they might be, not to mention she is the purest person you'll ever meet. She does follow the no sex before marriage charade. It's unlikely she and Marth would get along if I weren't here.

On the other hand, Marth is a rebel to the tee who loves to party, have sex, mouth off everyone who looks at her wrong and start pointless fights with strangers. She can be challenging to be around at times, but I love her so much it hurts me. Marth can be dramatic, especially if someone's offended her, which I understand.

She is resilient against homophobes and stands up for human rights. Marth may have rough edges, but she's tough. She can take a metaphorical punch, and I, unfortunately, had to see her take a real hit. Marth is a fighter and loyal to her friends, who is also a survivor, and I admire how she doesn't let anything weigh her down.

Marth is not afraid of conflict, at least not afraid to say what's on her mind, and I could learn a lot from the woman I love.

"Do you have any siblings?" Kelly asked Marth, and I felt the pit of my stomach drop. Marth sighed, lifting her pool stick to lean on it.

"Yup, yeah. I do have siblings," Marth strained out. She's not trying to ruin the fun we're having, but I hate seeing how in pain she is.

"What are their names?" Kelly continued, not aware that she struck a nerve.

"Rowan and Josh," Marth goes on as if nothing happened. Her eyes flickered to mine, and I gave her a small smile, letting her know I'm right here and it's okay. But I can see her fighting her tears as she gets back in the game. I set my drink down, slowly putting one foot in front of the other before I let my hand glide up her back. She's been holding her pain back too much, and I can feel her desire to let it go.

Marth won't free herself from her sister's death. She feels guilty for not being there to say goodbye, and it's eating her alive. Looking back at me, I nodded at her, and she sighed, giving the stick to Clyde, letting him fill in for her.

"Hey, Liz, this was fun, but I think we're going to head out," I said, lacing my hand through Marth's.

"We have to do this another time," Liz insisted, and I agreed before saying my goodbyes and leaving. Outside the pub in the car, Marth broke down, crying. Her sobs were loud as she keeled over, placing her head on the dashboard.

"I miss her," Marth cries. Placing my hand back on her back, I massaged her, trying to calm her down, but I know there's nothing I can do to make her feel better. I hate that she feels like this, and I hate that she holds herself responsible for something she couldn't control.

"Can we please go back?" Marth sobbed, and I started the engine. Once back at my dad house, Marth stayed outside while I collected Clarissa and Jamie. We left after awkwardly inviting my dad to Thanksgiving dinner. Marth didn't say a single word the whole way home. She just kept her head on my shoulder and silently cried. Clarissa knew the reason for Marth's sudden outburst and let her be as I guided us back to our room.