35

Maxine.

Heading into this next semester is challenging because I need a car. I need a car that I can take to school the days Marth has to work all day, so I'm sitting here at the DMV, trying to get my license because I can't drive illegally forever. Kayla took me because Marth started working as a manager at H-E-B. I'm so proud of her.

Once I filled out all the paperwork, proved I have a license in England and took my photo for my ID/automatic permit because I'm nineteen-years-old, Kayla and I left.

"I can't believe I have to take another test here just to prove I can drive. Doesn't my old license justify that?" I asked, getting in her car before she took off for school.

"If you want a car here, you gotta work for it, and I'm assuming that's how it is in most places," good point.

"That's fair," I said.

"How's house-hunting going?" I smiled at Kayla's question.

"We started, and we have our eyes on this cute little house. It's about twenty minutes from the school, though," I said, frowning.

"But it's definitely on our list," I said, smiling again.

"I think you guys will make it," Kayala said, making me smile wider. I know we will make it.

Pulling into the school, we got out and went to Starbucks. The rest of our friends were inside, taking up some tables. The weather decided it wanted to be a real winter. Texas weather is unpredictable around this time of year.

"Hey, guys," I said, getting in line with Kayla.

"Where's Marth?" Johnny asked.

"Working," I said, sad she's not next to me.

"I swear, she's always working," he said, and I agree. We got back to school about two weeks ago, and Marth has been working like a mad man. While she's working six days a week, I work four days a week.

"I know, but it's the new promotion she got, so she had to increase her hours and days," I said, missing her.

"Well, that money will definitely help when you get a house," Johnny said.

Everyone knows Marth and I are looking for a house and plan to move in by June. It's weird to think I'm going to be living in a house with my, hopefully, future spouse. I don't know why Marth says she's not marriage material. If I didn't think she was, I'd be gone because I will not waste my time on someone who doesn't want marriage.

Marth has to look through a lot of insecurity to see that she's everything I want and more. I didn't think you could fall for someone this fast and hard in such a short amount of time, but here I am, dreaming of what our wedding would look like.

"Yes, it will and Marth has good credit, so we aren't worried about not getting a good place," I said, not believing I'm house-hunting. I thought I'd be doing this after I graduated and moved back to England. I didn't know I'd be looking for a house in Texas with my girlfriend.

"Well, this is certainly a huge step for anyone," Devon said, holding Maria closer to him.

"Yes, this is, and I'm nervous but excited," I said. I decided to text Marth, telling her I'm at school and I miss her. The picture I posted of her with the pride flag has randomly gone viral, and I don't know why, but I keep receiving notifications.

"So, I painted this intimate picture of Marth, and it's gone viral," I said, showing my friends the portrait.

"You did that? I was wondering who made that. It's all over the Pride account on Instagram and Twitter," Caroline said, shocking me. I don't follow Pride on anything, and maybe I should, but I see they gave me credit, but I somehow missed that.