30

Marthe.

How the fuck do you get a Christmas gift for a woman who deserves the world? Johnny, Devon, Darren, Louis, Issac and I went to the mall to buy gifts. Christmas is a few days away, and I haven't gotten her anything. Maxine already got me something but is hiding it at the frathouse in Devon's room.

"Get her something art-related," Darren said, linking hands with Louis.

"No, it has to be something memorable. Something she can keep forever," I said, looking inside of Victoria Secrets. As much as I'd like to see her in another silky robe, she already has one.

"How about a real engagement ring," Devon jokes.

"One day, but for now, that promise ring is enough," I said, slowly looking around. My eyes landed on a necklace, and it's stunning. It's silver, and the end of it is a moon. She loves the moon. I marched over, picking it up, but looked at a bracelet, and I can put my own words on it.

"Find everything okay?" A store employee asked. I looked up from the jewellery.

"Yeah, how much for this, and can I put anything on here?" I asked, showing the employee named Marcie.

"The necklace is fifty, and yes, you can," Marcie explained.

"For a friend? Mother? Boyfriend?" She asked.

"Girlfriend," I said, watching Marcie look at me like she's seen a ghost.

"You could pretend it's for a boyfriend," I said, rolling my eyes.

"W-what would you like the bracelet to say?" Marcie asked, taking my items from me as I followed her. I looked down, thinking. I want Maxine to be the only one to understand. She always blasts this one song on repeat when making dinner. I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Maxine doesn't know I've seen her dancing to it, and she doesn't have to say it's her favourite song because I know.

"On the outside, I want it to say 'I want to spend the unknown with you', and the inside, I want it to say 'I'm yours'," I said, smiling while reciting Maxine's favourite song. Marcie nodded.

"I'll have this out in an hour," she said before taking the necklace too.

"Thanks," I said before leaving.

"You get it?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah, they said to come back in an hour," I said before we wandered around more. I made sure Maxine stayed occupied by giving her an art challenge. Last night she finally started posting her art, and people love it, so I've challenged her to paint, draw, digitalise one thing in three different styles. She got to work almost immediately by the time I left.

"So, tell us, Marthe," Johnny said, saying my real name.

"Watch it, Johnathan," I said, throwing his name in his face.

"Anyway, why the fuck are you talking marriage with a woman you kind of just started dating?" Johnny asked.

"We didn't just start dating, Johnny. We've been each others since before we got together, just too pissed off to do shit about it," I said, trying to decide what the fuck I want to eat. I decided on pizza.

"What do you mean by that?" Johnny asked, and I debated, telling him Maxine made out with me at that one party.

"Well, she was a closet case, and I could tell she was into me the same way I was into her," I said, changing my mind from pizza to Thai.

"She was into you the whole time she was with me?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah, because she was a lesbian the whole time but wanted to make daddy proud by pretending to be straight and getting with an all American football player to really sell the act," I explained, trying deiced between sesame chicken.