3

Maxine.

A soft alarm went off, making me stir. That's not my alarm. Opening my eyes, I look over at Marth's bed to see her fast asleep. I slowly sat up, hoping Marth would turn off her alarm, but she didn't. I pulled back to covers, swinging my legs over the bedside to turn off the alarm. Her phone wasn't on her desk or her nightstand. I looked at her bed. Are you joking?

My hand started shaking as I reached under her covers. Marth stirred lightly, making me freeze. I continued, trying to avoid touching her body.

"Where is it?" I questioned. Just as my hand found the glass device, I felt a hand grip around my arm.

"What are you doing?" Marth asked. I looked back at her, shocked to see her sitting up.

"Y-your phone was going off, a-and it woke me up," I stuttered. Marth took her phone from me, shutting off the alarm. Mine went off a few seconds later. Releasing me, I turned off my alarm. Marth pushed back the covers, getting out of bed herself, and she had on a pair of sweats and a loose tank top. She wasn't wearing a bra. I looked down at my phone to distract myself. I got a text from Johnny.

He asked me to meet him again. I huffed.

"What?" Marth asked, taking off her tank top. I looked away, but before I did, I saw a tattoo on her back. It was down her spine. I didn't look long enough to really see it.

"Johnny wants breakfast again," I complain. Marth chuckled.

"I thought you liked him," Marth asked, knowing I'm far from being interested in him.

"Need a ride?" She asked.

"Are you going to get cold feet?" I asked, rummaging through the closet for something to wear. I pulled out another pair of black Mom Jeans and my dirty white vans. I also pulled out a white flowy cropped top. Changing into a fresh set of underwear, I quickly got dressed. As I put my hair in a messy ponytail, Marth spoke up.

"No," Marth said, changing into a different pair of grey sweats, her high top converse, and another plain black t-shirt.

She ruffled her hair as her way of fixing it. I grabbed my backpack before Marth could this time, and she grabbed both of hers.

"Let's go," she said, grabbing her keys. Heading out, I made sure I didn't see any of my friends.

"Why do you look so erratic?" Marth asked, noticing my weird behaviour.

"No reason," I said. Marth chuckled.

"Afraid your friends will catch you with me," she said, but she didn't sound like she was joking.

"No," I lied. Marth chuckled again as we left the dormitory building. I followed Marth to her car, which is actually a black pick up truck. Unlocking it, we got in.

"So what about this Johnny, don't you like?" Marth asked.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked in return.

"You look like you're in pain around him," she continues as she drives across the campus.

"I am not. Johnny is a nice boy, and I think I fancy him," I defend.

"You just said you didn't, and now you're saying you think you do?" Marth asked, trying to make sense of what I'm saying.

"No, I like him as a friend," I said, looking out the window.

"Did you kiss this friend of yours?" Marth asked, glancing at me. I looked down at my hands, feeling guilty and gross.

"I mean he clearly fancy's me, so shouldn't I fancy him back? He's fit enough," I answered her question with a question.

"You hated it, didn't you?" She asked, knowing the answer.