Chapter Twelve: Momentary Bliss

*Two Years Later*

    Two years had gone by since Levi and Furlan invaded the sellers meet-up, and yet nothing had happened. There hadn't been another invasion attempt, kidnapping, or even any new eyes that lurked around their home.

To be honest, this wasn't as stomach settling as it should be. The trio kept their guard up, nothing felt more worrisome than the uneasy calmness.

Over these past two years, the trio had spent more time at home with Lilith, only leaving for necessities. Lilith still never left the house.

.   .   .

The city had been quiet for a while. The Military Police were in and out. They were still trying to reclaim their stolen gear and take the trio into custody for their crimes. They came around about twice a week now, a big difference from the past. The MPs have never been able to get close to the gang, their skill exceeded the soldiers abilities too much. Not only that, but they knew the area much better than the king's kiss-ups.

.    .    .

A year after Levi and Furlan found the tunnels, they went back to find the bulkhead door. To their surprise, the door was no longer there. They searched the city and found nothing, it was completely gone. They were angered, but perhaps they scared them away. At least, this was what they hoped.

.   .   .

"Here," Levi said, he handed Lilith something pointed and shiny. Isabel saw Levi do this but didn't think much of it, but something didn't seem right.

"What is that?" She asked before the realization kicked in, "LEVI WHAT THE HELL!!" Isabel ran over and took the item from Lilith's little hands. "Why are you giving her a knife?? She's five!"

"She's gonna have to learn soon, I learned at her age." He answered, seeming too calm for the protective parent he was.

"She doesn't need this, she has us." Isabel answered, sighing and placing the knife out of reach from the little one.

"But still, she should learn." He said, reaching for the knife again.

"No!" Isabel yelled, taking the knife from Levi, "Give her more time!" She snapped.

"Nice job, dumbass," He said.

"Huh?" She said confused, he pointed to her bleeding palm. "Shit," she winced.

"'Shit'" A high pitched voice repeated.

"Oi, don't say that," Levi said, ruffling Lilith's hair.

"She can't swear but she can use a knife? Nice parenting numbskull." Isabel smirked. Levi responded with a flick on her forehead.

"Pay attention to where you grab a knife, idiot."

After a few moments, Levi looked at the door,

"Furlan's taking longer than he should," Levi said, now walking towards the door. He felt arms around his leg and looked down,

"Can I go find him?" Lilith asked, trying to use puppy eyes on Levi.

"No." Levi snapped, it had no effect.

"Why not?" She whined.

"It's too dangerous for you to leave." He said, looking away from the leech and out the peephole on the door.

"Pleeease?" She begged, hugging his leg tighter.

"I said no," He said coldly.

"Hmph!" She hummed as she plopped herself on Levi's shoe, now holding the front of his leg. "If you go find Furlan, I wanna go too," she said, digging her face into Levi's shin. Levi lifted his leg with her on it,

"No." He repeated. She let out a giggle while clinging to Levi's leg. "Get off, leech," he said as he started to walk around the room with a limp.

"No! Faster!" She laughed and held on tighter.

"Then hold on," Levi smirked while starting to swing his leg back and forth, careful to make sure she didn't go flying off. She kept giggling as she swung through the house attached to Levi's shin. Isabel laughed at the cuteness this moment radiated. It gave her hope that Lilith's future won't be as dark as the trio predicted.

The moment was stopped when Levi heard someone approach the door.

"That's not Furlan." He immediately grabbed Lilith from his leg and held her under one arm then ran to the other room, all while gesturing to Isabel to grab the knife with her uninjured hand and get behind the door. She pressed herself on the inner wall while Levi remained in the room with Lilith, the door cracked open so he could observe his comrade, ready to protect those who he held dear.

They waited a few seconds, there's a knock. The two didn't respond as this seemed like the best way to go. A loud thud was heard from the other side of the door that made the two uneasy.

Isabel noticed the footsteps become distant, she looked over at Levi for permission to look out the door, he nodded in response. Isabel peeked through the small glass hole cautiously. She dropped the blade and gasped, nearly throwing up at what she saw in front of her. 

__________________________

Hey there, I hope you guys like this story so far

I have about 15 more chapters ready to go but I'm not sure when I'm gonna end it but i already know how

Anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys more, I wanna know how you guys are liking the fic so don't be shy!