Chapter 24: A Kind Gesture Gone Wrong

You were skipping down the hallways of UA, on your way to the teachers' lounge. In your hands, you held a bento box.

Sato had been teaching you how to cook. His cooking was just as good as his baking and he had taught you a bunch of skills already in the kitchen. How to peel a potato, cook rice, correctly cut vegetables and meat, the list went on. Most times, you liked to watch him, observing what he did and then tried it for yourself.

He was a very good instructor, even though he brushed off your compliments more than once. He was too humble for his own good.

You knocked on the door a couple of times, a bit louder than last time. Over time, your confidence had been building up thanks to Aizawa's guidance and the constant support you had from your friends surrounding you.

Everyone should be at Lunchrush by now, there was no reason for anyone else to be in the classroom. You had gone there initially but the room was empty and that's when you remembered that Aizawa liked to sleep during that period.

In the teachers' lounge, hidden away from the world in that same yellow sleeping bag.

Your mouth twisted down in a faint frown as you recalled how he never seemed to eat much. Even when the others invited him for dinners at the dorm, seeing as how they rotated who cooked each night, he never seemed to eat a lot or stay for very long.

That was going to change.

You heard someone say it was okay to come in, so hesitantly, you pushed open the door, poking your head inside.

"Excuse me, is Aizawa-sensei here?" You asked politely.

Midnight immediately sprung up from her seat, dashing over to you and squealing at how adorable your ears were.

Her hands, however, were halted a hairbreadth away from your fluffy ears, entwined in familiar cloth binds.

"Nemuri, we talked about this." Aizawa glowered, hair floating as he activated his quirk even though it wasn't necessary.

"Awwww, Shoutaaaaa~" Midnight sang and you offered her a sympathetic glance.

You shifted uneasily. He really didn't have to go to such lengths, you weren't that used to people doing that yet. It still felt a bit weird.

"Ah, it's okay, Aizawa-sensei!!" You stammered out after finding your voice.

"Uh huh," He grunted in your general direction, dragging his colleague over to Yamada and detangled his capture weapon, releasing his quirk.

Immediately after he made sure she wasn't going to move, he lumbered over to you. It appeared to be lethargic but you knew better. He had that same concerned gleam in his eye whenever Midoriya would get reckless or one of his other students hurt themselves.

"What's wrong?" He demanded, inspecting you from head to toe for a single scratch.

You waved frantically, then yelped as you momentarily forgot you were holding the bento box and launched it into the air by accident. Scrambling to catch it, you were successful but you crashed into the lounge with a loud thud.

Aizawa's eyes were wide, not expecting you to suddenly flop in front of him. It happened in the blink of an eye but he recovered quickly and helped you up immediately, but not without scolding you first.

"What were you thinking? You could've gotten seriously hurt." His tone was scarily even and your ears fell as it washed over you. "We talked about this, Y/N."

He didn't understand what could be so important that you were willing to risk hurting yourself.

"... 'm sorry..." You mumbled, holding up the box as a sort of peace offering. "I... This is for you."

Aizawa took it but didn't take his eyes off of you, worried that if he stepped away for a second that you would injure yourself.

Mistaking his attentiveness for disappointment in you, you found yourself high-tailing it out the door before he could stop you, holding back tears.

Present Mic approached his best friend with a frown on his face as Aizawa sat down in his chair with a sigh.

Now that he was up, he should mark these papers before the next period. The sooner he got that done, the sooner he could sleep.

Yamada's head shaking in disapproval caught his attention and Aizawa rolled his eyes, not noticing how Kayama was sneaking over to his desk from the opposite side.

"Not cool." Was all his best friend said.

Aizawa lifted an eyebrow. "What?"

Yamada scoffed and Aizawa was taken aback.

"What the hell did I do?" He demanded, rubbing his eyes tiredly. "She knows not to bother me when I'm at work by now."

He didn't mean it exactly like that.

It was just that he had talked to you about it previously, the added risks of walking by yourself to the school when it wasn't an emergency. He thought he made it clear.

But he didn't mention that the real reason was because he knew how accident prone you were and was beyond worried every single time you left the dorms.

His best friend just shot him a look of disappointment and Aizawa could feel the irritation creeping up his spine.

"What do you rather me say?" He snapped.

"It's not what you said, it's how you said it." Kayama corrected, twisting around the box that you had brought to him.

In his haze of concern that you had hurt yourself with that nasty fall, he had discarded it rather carelessly, thinking you gave it to him to hold onto while you regained your balance. In his haste, the lid was jarred, revealing the hot, steaming food inside.

Aizawa's heart twisted painfully as Kayama pushed it over to him gently, and he lifted the top off, his heart sinking even more as he saw the carefully crafted katsu curry inside.

It was clearly homemade and clearly for him and he felt awful that he didn't even thank you before you left.

"Fuck." He sowre, grabbing his capture weapon and throwing it over his shoulders.

Ignoring his friends' knowing looks, he sprinted to the door, hoping and praying he could catch you before you went back to Heights Alliance. If you had already left, he would catch up to you. You couldn't have gotten too far away from the school.

He knew that the thought that you had disappointed him would weigh you down and cause you to drag your feet. He prayed that it would work in his favor.

But he was known to have the worst luck in the world.

Running the calculations of how much time was left in the period and combining it with the fastest route to intercept you all went out the window when he threw open the door, stopping himself just in time from crashing into you.

You jumped in surprise. "Aizawa-sensei?"