Chapter 40: Unknown Danger

After somehow convincing him that you had to have ice cream as you headed back, Aizawa stopped short when you nearly devoured it in a heartbeat. There was nothing left by the time you got back to the stands.

He shook his head fondly as you raced ahead. And by the time he had found his way over to his seat, you were eagerly talking to Fukukado about something.

By the time the next test started and your attention had been stolen away once more, he waved to catch her attention.

Raising an eyebrow, Fukukado's tease died on her lips as she noticed the serious expression on his face. She would recognize that look anywhere. Shooting him a questioning look, his gaze flitted to indicate something behind him and she followed it discreetly, with the experience of a pro.

What she saw had her eyes widening in shock.

Aizawa's eyes narrowed a fraction as he gauged her reaction. His heart stopped as she shook her head, slight enough not to catch your attention and his jaw clenched, fists balling at his sides.

He would take care of them later.

This time, when the pro-heroes turned their attention back to the arena where the second test was in full swing, there was something a lot more ominous in the air.

A threat that promised Aizawa he hadn't seen the last of them.

"So Eraser," Fukukado grinned, leaning forward as she caught your attention. "I didn't know you liked playing dad."

"Enough, Emi." Aizawa sighed exasperatedly, masking his distress from you.

You, however, didn't pick up on the social cue and scampered behind him before he could stop you.

His voice raised as you left his vision field but before he could twist around to see you, you plopped your chin on his head. "Kid, what are you doing?"

Your tail was thumping so hard against the back of his chair that he could feel the vibrations through the cheap plastic.

"Scary..." You whimpered and his head immediately swiveled to the person he had spotted before, narrowing his eyes when he didn't see them or the thing that they were torturing earlier.

But before he could instigate emergency protocols and whisk you out of there, you were shakily pointing towards the area where Gang Orca and a mini army had just crashed through the wall and was terrorizing your friends.

Aizawa couldn't help but relax. You weren't scared at anything other than the test.

You winced as one of the cement bullets came close to hitting Ojiro and Ashido. "Dad, are they going to hurt them?"

"No," He said, settling back in his chair now that he knew there wasn't any threat. "This is a test, remember?"

"I know that, but—" You winced again as Todoroki got hit, immobilizing him instantly, and covered your face with your hands. You couldn't look.

Aizawa sighed, reaching up to awkwardly pat your head. It was harder to do when he couldn't see you.

"They'll be fine." He muttered, more to himself than to you. "They have to face this if they want to become heroes."

You nodded, more of a reaction than an agreement with what he was saying. Peeking through your fingers, you shot up with a cheer as a paralyzed Yoarashi from another school worked together with an immobilized Todorki to trap Gang Orca in a spiral of flame.

"They did it!!" You burst out, a wide smile on your face as the end of the second exam was called. "Way to go you guys!!!!"

Aizawa sighed heavily, slumping back in his seat. Having to see his class go through a test more rigorous than usual was bad for his heart.