Chapter 41: Fluffy Present for Todoroki

Ms. Joke jabbed a thumb over to where Aizawa was having a staring contest with the grey kitten who was battered and bruised from the treatment earlier. Your blood was boiling just thinking about it.

"Eraser's trying to see if he can get it to change." Fukukado told you.

Everyone, the students who had crowded closer to see what the commotion was all about and the two pro-heroes, stopped short when you burst out laughing.

"Dad, put him down." You wheezed, still trying to catch your breath from your laughing fit.

Now everyone was really confused.

Ojiro, who had overheard the tailend of Ms. Joke's information, was wary when she mentioned that Aizawa thought the Quirk Traffickers might be involved. He caught your arm but faltered when he saw the twinkle in your eye. You wouldn't look like that if you were in danger.

Reluctantly, he let you go.

Aizawa still hadn't let go of the cat, despite what you had said. It wasn't that he didn't trust you, he just didn't exactly trust that there was nothing going on and—

"It's just a kitten, Dad." You reassured, giggling slightly when the sharpness in his glare dulled just a bit. "I promise it's completely harmless."

Aizawa stared at it suspiciously as the creature weakly batted at his hand but set it down in his hands so that he was gripping it gently to not add to its injuries but firmly just in case you were wrong and it tried to escape.

He hummed lowly, not completely convinced. "And you know this how?"

Tapping the side of your nose, you smiled as you nonverbally reminded him of your enhanced senses.

"Humans have a different scent than animals do." You said softly. "If he was someone who had a shapeshifting quirk, he would still smell like a human even in animal form."

You could pick up on the kitten's distress at being handled so roughly by so many strangers but you couldn't say you blamed him. Plucking him from your now shell-shocked dad's hands, you petted it soothingly, careful to keep your canines tucked away so that you didn't scare it.

"There, there..." You comforted, hugging it close to your chest. "It's alright."

Aizawa couldn't believe what he was seeing. He had been so convinced after seeing such irregular behavior from people. And while he still couldn't explain why they had been beating up an innocent animal who hadn't caused any harm, he supposed it wasn't important anymore. What mattered was that you were safe.

"I didn't know you could do all that..." Aizawa trailed off, underlying wonder following his voice. He had no time to feel flustered or embarrassed by his mistake, seeing as how if he ended up being right, you would've been in grave danger.

He was glad that wasn't the case. Better to be safe than sorry.

You grinned cheekily as the kitten purred contentedly in your hold. "Maybe you should take me with you next time then!!"

"No." He rejected bluntly and you exclaimed indignantly.

"Eh?! Why not?!"

"No."

"That's not an answer!!"

Ms. Joke laughed at your quick retorts, planting her hands on her hips now that the threat had been cleared. She was glad you weren't in any danger and that the situation had been contained with cuddles.

You stopped petting the kitten as you noticed the longing expression on someone's face and stared down at the dirty, grey little cat. It could use love. Someone who would care for it and love it to the max.