Chapter 27: Two Sides of the Same Coin

"Holly-chan!!" You greet excitedly as you open the front door to Heights Alliance, heart warming at the sight of the little girl standing on the other side. "Welcome!!"

"Y/N-onee-san!!" She cheered, rushing to give you a hug. "I finally get to meet you!!!"

You ruffled her hair, careful not to mess up her hairdo. Sparkly clips were holding back the golden fringe from falling into her eyes, revealing her cute features and freckles. Her kind eyes and bright smile were so similar to her older brother's, she looked just like him.

Her dress was a light blue, edged with lace and fell just below her knees. Perfect for summer.

Ojiro had warned you that he had talked about you to his little sister in the letters he wrote to her weekly and you didn't know why he looked so nervous, it was the sweetest thing in your opinion. You were flattered he included you in those letters.

"Are you ready to go? Where do you want to go first?" You asked, locking the door behind you as you stepped out. "Oh, are you hungry? We could go get something to eat first."

Holly pondered it for a moment, toying with her small bag slung across her body as she mulled it over. "When can we see Onii-san?"

You maintained your smile. "We can see him after classes are done. Until then, we have the whole day to do whatever you want!!"

Your energy was infectious and the little girl mirrored your smile, good spirits restored.

Ojiro had told you last week that with his parents gone all the time and himself away at school, there hasn't been a lot of fun things for his little sister to partake in. School events usually required a guardian and there was no one around the house so that she could bring friends over after school was done for the day.

He was worried about her since he hadn't seen her since he moved out.

After asking Aizawa, he had gotten permission for her to visit for a day and worked it out with his parents. They paid for a private car to take Holly to UA and spend the day with her big brother, but the dates had gotten mixed up.

Instead of coming the following weekend, she was set to come next week during a school day for him. Since it was too late to change everything around on his parents' end, Ojiro was seriously contemplating skipping school to make sure his little sister was taken care of.

You had intervened.

"Ojiro, we'll be fine." You insisted for the tenth time as he paced back and forth in his room.

You were sure by now he was wearing a hole in the floor. It had already been a couple hours since the news broke and he had been stressed.

You were sitting on his bed, curled up in a blanket. You had taken to wearing your own clothes now but neither Ojiro nor Aizawa took back the hoodie or scarf they had lent to you.

"I'm worried, Y/N!!" He exclaimed, flopping down beside you, his tail slumped as it laid in between the two of you. "What if something happens?"

You covered his hand, bending down to nudge his temple with your nose.

"Nothing will and even if it does, I'll make sure to call the police." You soothed, rubbing your thumb over the back of his hand.

Ojiro's eyebrows drew together, still concerned. "But—"

"Mashirao, we'll be okay." You reassured softly and he stopped.

Running a hand through his hair, he smiled at you sheepishly, apologizing for overreacting. You simply shook your head, reassuring him that you understood.

He had pointed a finger at you after that, the light back in his eyes but his voice still shook. "You be careful now, okay?"

You nodded, ears flopping and you smiled at him, happy that he was on board. "I promise."

The sun shone high above the two of you as you took a cab to get off the school grounds. Your tail was tucked away and your ears were hidden by a large hat.

"How old are you, Holly-chan?" You asked, holding her hand as the two of you got on the crowded train.

She held up her fingers cutely. "I'm eight!! Onii-san says I'm a big girl now!!"

You giggled, drawing her close as some else squeezed aboard the packed train car. "You are a big girl!! And big girls get to choose wherever they'd like to eat, so take your pick, m'lady."

She laughed, pulling your hand as she sped on ahead once you arrived at a familiar place.

Initially, Ojiro was nervous about you taking her to the shopping mall, vividly recalling what had happened the last time you were there. This time, you would be going alone with only his sister. He was worried something would happen to both of you.

But he had seen your strength in the training arena. You had grown a lot stronger since back then. And Jirou had been teaching you how to use that cell phone she got you in case you were ever in a pickle and needed to call for help.

There were pre programmed numbers on speed dial and Aizawa was your emergency contact.

Aizawa was also against you going by yourself but you insisted. You were the best choice to look after Holly when she came to visit. You didn't have classes the same days as everyone else since they still hadn't managed to track down the people hunting you to protect your identity.

Reluctantly, the two of them caved, the elder making you promise to text where you would be at all times so that he could check-in with you. You had joked that you were going to disrupt his class if you did that but were surprised when he immediately said he didn't care.

Ojiro had chimed in, asking for you to do the same for him and you nodded in defeat.

You supposed it wasn't unreasonable for them to ask, but a small part of you couldn't suppress the inkling that they were doing that because they didn't trust you to be strong enough to protect Holly.

Your eyes shot open wide as you realized you had said that last part out loud. That wasn't what you had meant to say. It was an irrational and fleeting thought, you knew full well that they were worried about the Quirk Traffickers they had yet to pin down.

But panic rose in your chest and gripped your heart, making it hard to breathe.

The stunned silence was suffocating and you wanted nothing more than to flee but the instant you swiveled on your feet, Ojiro caught you with his tail.

"Wait, Y/N!!" He exclaimed, his eyes imploring you to believe him. "That wasn't what I meant!!"

Aizawa's forehead creased. "It's not a matter of whether or not you are enough to protect Holly, but if you get attacked by the Quirk Traffickers."

Of course you knew that, but for some reason, there were too many things running through your head and making it hard to think clearly.

"I'll be fine." You insisted, straining against Ojiro's tail for a few seconds before giving up with a huff. "I'll make sure she's okay!!"

"You're not listening." Aizawa hissed, stalking towards you.

You gulped frightfully as he loomed over you, resembling the man that used to visit your cell more and more. A whimper slipped past before you could stop it and realizing what you had done, your flight mode kicked in.

Ojiro's shock in hearing you afraid loosened his grip on your waist just enough for you to escape. His shock increased as his teacher cursed in front of him.

"Aizawa-sensei?!"

"Not now." He said, gripping his hair in frustration so tight, his knuckles turned white. "You should go after her. She'll listen to you."

The guilt welled up in his chest and he sighed heavily once his student left to go after you. He didn't know what made him say that or come onto you as forceful and intimidating as it was. He knew you had a problem with people confronting you like that, he was the one who helped you deal with it, for crying out loud.

Why did he always have to screw things up with the people that meant the most to him?