Chapter 38: Provisional Licensing Exam

After watching your classmates for a while as they scattered in different directions, you gathered the rules. They had to knock people out with the targets they had put on their body while avoiding getting knocked out by others.

You were stunned as Class 1-A outmaneuvered and managed to outsmart the other candidates at every twist and turn.

How Midoriya rallied the group to stand against everyone when they came after them first and how he managed to come up with a plan to counter so quickly.

You weren't surprised that Todoroki went off on his own but you really wished that he would one day come to realize that he could depend on them too. You didn't know what he had been through, but you knew it had been bad.

You wouldn't push him. He needed to take his own time.

Besides, he had shown that he was more than capable of handling things himself when he was the first one from your class to finish.

But once you spotted Ojiro amongst the crowd, you found that you couldn't take your eyes off of him. His physical prowess was something to be feared on the battlefield.

You didn't get much of a chance to ever see him in action, Aizawa preferring to separate the two of you so that you weren't distracted by each other while you were training and in the classroom, hence why your desk was all the way in the back where Ojiro couldn't see you.

It didn't matter. It wasn't like you looked away from him at all during class but you weren't going to tell your dad that his seating arrangement ended up having the best view to daydream about your crush.

Eyes sparkling as you watched Ojiro take down one after another, you were struck with how strong he was and how he managed to use his tail to the best of his ability. All while not moving quite like how you expected him, too.

"Dad..." You trailed off without taking your eyes off of Ojiro. "The way he's fighting..."

"Hmm?" Aizawa hummed, in the middle of looking at something else but strayed from them to align his sight with yours. "Who is it?"

"Mashirao— Ojiro-kun." You corrected yourself hastily when his gaze snapped to you at such an informal use of his name. "He's kind of fighting like you."

The corner of his mouth quirked up in a lopsided grin. "He's been working on his style for a while now, it's come a long way since Ectoplasm helped him with it."

You tucked your hands under your legs, tail swishing behind you as you raised an eyebrow. "You gave him some pointers, huh?"

Aizawa turned his attention back to the several battles taking place. "He's my student, of course I did."

He spared you a glance and rolled his eyes when your knowing grin didn't fade.

"Pay attention." He instructed with an underlying warning to his tone and you conceded for now.

You would get him to admit it one day, that he was the dad of the class. It was inevitable. Fate called for him in the form of twenty-two troublesome kids.

You watched as your classmates fought and cheered when they finally won, springing up from your seat when you saw that Ojiro passed.

Aizawa, on the other hand, glared at the group of ten students who just barely managed to pass as the limit was called. "So... there were that many of you left."

Fukukado leaned back, grinning at Aizawa from behind your back as you shouted your ecstatic congratulations down to them. "You're happy aren't you?!"

He scowled slightly. "No, I'm not."

"You are!!" She shouted with a loud laugh, slapping her thigh. "Your leg is bouncing happily!!"

Forcing it to still, he schooled his expression into one of indifference when your attention panned to him.

You leaned forward and bent your head, the tip of your fluffy ear poking his cheek cutely before you straightened up to beam at him. "It's okay to be proud of them, Dad. They worked really hard, right?"

Aizawa smiled faintly, resting a hand on your head and ruffled your hair.

"Doesn't matter." He huffed, suppressing the pride swelling in his chest as all twenty of his students passed thanks to their dedication and hard work. "They'll have to train even harder when we get back."

Your grin matched Ms. Joke's and she winked at you as the first test of two was called.

Aizawa didn't have to say it but you both knew. And you were definitely going to tease him later when he put up pictures of you all in his office tomorrow, hanging them proudly for the rest of the teachers to see when they walked in the lounge.

His kids had made it.

For all twenty of them to finish as part of the 100 that were allowed to pass out of thousands and thousands of students, that was already an accomplishment in it of itself.

There was a short, twenty minute break for the people who passed as they filtered out the ones who didn't, the examiners asking for them to leave so that they could continue promptly after the break was over.

"Dad, I'm hungry..." You said with a slight whine at the end, unable to help yourself, your stomach growling as if on cue.

Your stomach had been rumbling since the start and it only increased with your apprehension as the numbers were called. The first hundred to pass and the majority of Class 1-A had been in the last ten.

It was a close call, that much was for sure.

Still, they had all managed to pass. You were stoked. Ojiro even flashed you a thumbs up when he succeeded, finding you in the stands so effortlessly you were kind of hoping that it was because he was looking for you too.

Fukukado threw an arm around your shoulders energetically, causing you to squeak and almost lose your balance as she declared that she could take you. Your stomach rumbled again, louder this time and your cheeks tinted in embarrassment.

Removing his colleague's arm from you, Aizawa gestured for you to stand up. No way was he going to let you go off with his crazy colleague. "Come on then, kid."