Chapter 50: Warm Hugs and Comfy Reassurances

You barely refrained from darting over to him, knowing that he would likely be uncomfortable with you pouncing on him in front of the rest of his students.

Aizawa was careful to display special attention to you and Shinsou at school, not wanting the other students to perceive you both differently. He knew how much you two would hate it, both of you incredibly hard workers who earned your place. To be seen as anything less would be a crime.

Still, he gave in more often than not when you turned up your puppy dog charm or when Shinsou shyly ducked his head. He grew up not having a lot of affection being shown to him, and he wasn't going to let the two of you turn out the same way.

Not if he had any say about it.

Aizawa wasn't planning on stopping by with Shinsou, hoping to help him move in before his students woke up. He knew how chaotic it was going to be in the morning since he saw them all asleep on the common room floor last night, and he had absolutely no desire to stick around for that.

Screw these paternal instincts.

Instead of his usual hero costume, Aizawa was donned in casual clothes and lacked his signature capture weapon. He was dressed in dark sweatpants, a knitted turtleneck, half of his long hair put up to keep out of his face and a brightly colored bracelet with plastic beads and a kitty charm on his wrist.

Undoubtedly, that little edition had to be from one little girl in particular.

After Aizawa tiredly announced his presence, you finally took note of the highly disinterested purple-haired teenager moping beside him, a few boxes stacked neatly next to him.

With a low sigh, Aizawa pushed off where he was leaning against the wall and leveled his sheepish class with a practiced glare. "What did I say about having this many people in the kitchen at once?"

Uraraka and Hagakure cringed simultaneously at the sternness in his tone, while Yaoyorozu winced behind Jirou.

Iida's face quickly flushed in embarrassment at the mess they had made. It looked as though a tornado whipped through the common area with the blankets, pillows and couch cushions still haphazardly strewn about. With his attention occupied elsewhere, he hadn't had the chance to put everything back. "Sensei!! I will take responsibility!!"

"Hah?" Bakugou grumbled, eyes flashing as he shouldered past a hovering Ashido and Uraraka greedily eyeing the fluffy goodness he had just finished piling onto various plates decorating the counter, leaving Kirishima to guard it alone. "Like hell you're gonna outdo me, Glasses—"

"Bakugou." Aizawa reprimanded with an arched eyebrow, making the explosive teen halt in place with a visible scowl.

The underground hero opened his mouth and the whole class braced themselves for the lecture that was inevitable, but before he got the chance, a small voice piped up timidly behind him.

"U-Um..."

Everyone froze in place at the timid whisper, the class' collective gaze landing on the fidgeting form of a little girl hiding behind Shinsou.

Yaoyorozu was the first to take control.

"Eri-chan?" She said softly, coming forward to lower herself in front of her delicately, a warm and reassuring smile on her face. Her gentle prompting coaxed the little girl to poke her head out nervously. "Are you alright?"

Only Kirishima, Midoriya, Asui and Uraraka were supposed to know about Eri and the Overhaul mission, but the burden was too great for the four to carry alone. After the disasters that were the USJ incident, the attack at the training camp, and the kidnapping of Bakugou from right under the pros' noses, the class that used to leap at each other's throats slowly molded into something else.