An Aspirin

Marina Bay, Singapore

After going home to only do my laundry and repack a suitcase, I was back to Singapore with a terrible jetlag.

I laid in bed, trying to cope with the terrible headache induced by the jetlag. Flying around the world, messing up my sleep schedule had finally gotten to me.

I heard knocks on the door, I unlocked it to see Callum standing there with a big smile on his face with his Coldplay T-shirt on.

"Why aren't you dressed yet? I gave you my band shirt too!"

"Cal I'm still coping with a headache-"

"So am I! Just take a few acetaminophens."

"What's that! If you've been doping-"

"No silly! An aspirin or Tylenol, they should help."

"Couldn't you just say that? Wait for me I'll be ready in a few."

"Don't forget to wear the band-"

"I won't! Not like you haven't reminded me eight times." I rolled my eyes before shooting him to the lobby.

I washed my face, swallowed an aspirin and put the T-shirt that was loaned to me. My past experiences with concerts hadn't been the best, if I went with a group, by the time the night was over I wouldn't know where the rest of them were.

"I'm ready, let's head out!" I smiled.

"Are you really smiling after all that grumbling? Let's go!"

"I went through a what not to bring to a concert list and the first thing on it was a bad attitude."

"So you've ditched it?"

"Nope, just masking it. I'm in pain and I'm so ready to hear people yell and stomp."

"Give it a fair chance!"

"I'll try."

We drove to the venue, the crowd was starting to show up. Before we took our spots, we ate to our fill and got lots of water bottles to stay hydrated.

"All this water? Nat are you here to listen to music or drink water?"

"Are you here to eat or enjoy music?" I pointed to his second serving of large fries.

"Snarky today, aren't we?"

"The aspirin isn't working, my head still hurts."

"Give it some time you're going to have the night of your life!"

"You never told me if we're going to see some more of your friends here or not."

"Oh, I managed to get only two tickets so here we are!"

"What does that mean?"

"When I asked you to say yes or no I was actually buying tickets." He confessed.

"Callum! That's so impulsive!"

"Well if I wasn't impulsive I wouldn't be quick." He winked.

We headed to our spots in the front row, the people behind us were pushing and pulling, after being pressed against the barricade twice I was sure that I'm going to get lost in a stampede.

The opening act was groovy, it lifted my moods and Callum was already in the zone. He was singing and swaying with the music, I spotted a few familiar faces in the crowd.

Seb noticed the two of us and waved to us, he tried to indicate to Kimi that he had spotted us but he was too sloshed to even understand what was going on.

Seb made his way to us with kimi trailing behind him, Callum was so excited by the music he didn't even notice the two of them.

"The music has taken over him! He can't hear us!" I yelled to Seb.

"I can see that! He has good taste."

"What?"

"Never mind, the two of you have fun!"

"You too! Kimi, I didn't take you for someone who enjoys concerts."

"Bwoah, cheap drinks." He smiled at us.

I couldn't control my laughter, he was absolutely hammered. They walked back to their spot, Seb continued taking all the music in with awe on his face while Kimi took swigs from the bottle in his hand.

Finally, the anticipated act of the night began. The band walked on stage, the crowd went berserk. Callum was absolutely losing it, he was hollering and hooting.

"Join me!" He yelled.

"What?"

"Come on! Let loose! Scream, shout and yell!"

After a while, I gave in and was at it. Yelling at the top of my lungs, sputtering lyrics to whatever I knew. The night was just getting started, this was going to be fun.

The atmosphere of the place became slow, everyone was flashing lights. The music from the instruments started sounding familiar, I looked at Callum who was in a daze.

"I've been reading books of old
The legends and the myths,
Achilles and his gold
Hercules and his gifts
Spider-Man's control
And Batman and his fists
And clearly I don't see myself upon that list." He hummed along.

"But she said where'd you wanna go?
How much you wanna risk?
I'm not looking for somebody
With some superhuman gifts
Some superhero
Some fairy-tale bliss
Just someone I can talk to
Somebody I can kiss." I sang along

"I want something just like this!" We sang together, looking at each other.

I was swaying with the crowd, in the slow dance. He gave me his hand and I reached out for it, following his lead. We were slow dancing in a crowd full of people, my eyes fixed on him and his on mine.

It felt right, it felt natural and it felt true. This truly had been the night of my life until realisation hit me like truck. I was falling for him, this was not good.

I freed myself from his hands, he looked taken aback. I was doing this for the best, I told him I was feeling sick.

"It's the last performance anyway, give it a few minutes."

"Sure!" I smiled, trying to hide the fluster the last few minutes had just caused me.

The evening came to an end, we headed back to the hotel. I thanked him for dragging me along, if he hadn't been so stubborn I would have probably slept all day long.

I washed the grime and sweat of the day off me, changed into pajamas and decided to crash. His shirt lay there on my bed, it sent me butterflies. He let me keep it, it might have smelled like him but now it was all dirty.

Get a grip! I yelled at myself. I was out cold as soon as my head hit the pillow, it had been an exhausting day but it was blissful. Matters of my head and heart could be dealt with later.