Unexpected circumstances

Austin, Texas

After two hours of flying, I was back home. Well, my second home, the Austin sun was warm but the breeze mellowed him down.

It was November, the weather was starting to get cooler. I couldn't help but think of the leaves, how I would jump into them after grandma was done raking them up.

I walked out of the terminal, Arthur was already there. With a big grin on his face, after all the Mexican Grand Prix had gone well for him.

"Are you excited!?" He beamed giving me a hug.

"Yes!"

"Is it okay to call it a road trip because your grandma lives on the other end of the city?"

"I would say it is!"

"Let's get going! Carpool Karaoke awaits you."

He helped me carry my bags to the car and load them all in the boot, I noticed he had a small duffel bag still in there.

"You've still got a little bag in there, you forgot to unpack properly."

"No that's my extra set of clothes, I always keep it incase of unexpected circumstances."

"Unexpected circumstances?"

"Yeah surprise ragers, spilling food on my clothes and you know more things like that."

"Smart."

We got into the car and started driving down to my grandma's house, the streets felt so familiar but different. Two years was a long time, seeing the small changes was a reminder of that.

"Hello?" I answered my phone.

"Natalie! Honeybuns, where are you?"

"We haven't even entered the city yet, the traffic on the highway is unexpectedly slow!"

"I told you to fly down in the morning for a reason!"

"I would have if I could find a seat."

"Put the phone on speaker." Arthur chimed in.

"Why?"

"Just do it!"

"Okay!" I put the phone on speaker.

"Hi Connie! Is it okay if I call you Connie?"

"Honeybun? Are you with a man? Who am I speaking to?"

"You're speaking to Arthur, I'm a race car driver."

"You kept your word! You're bringing home one those racers so I could meet one!" She exclaimed.

"Yes, now Connie declare me as your favourite grand child." I laughed.

"I wouldn't do your cousins dirty like that! I love all of you equally."

"Who's bringing home the driver? Me!"

"Fine, I like you a little more than the other two."

"I love you Connie, I'll be there soon."

"I already got the cookies ready, I'm waiting for you. Bye bye!" She ended the call.

"Puce?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you open the glove compartment and give me the granola bar?"

"Sure, her you go." I gave him the little packet.

"What stop looking at me? I'm trying to eat!"

"I'm hungry."

"Check if there's another one."