Ruining our friendship

Abu Dhabi, UAE

It was Sunday, as much as I disliked it the days flew by. With every passing day, it made me even more sad;I was one day closer to the end.

Today was the end, my bags were packed and ready for leaving early the next day and possibly never seeing this place ever again.

It was driving me insane, it's almost as if there was an invisible wall between Arthur and I. He was so close yet so far, he wouldn't respond to my texts.

On Friday, when I bumped into him he just brushed past. We had a few awkward run ins on Saturday, he was pushing me away. It felt like he was slipping through my fingers, I felt so numb.

I put on the biggest smile I could and walked through those gates, the last time. Tim and Erica didn't mention anything about the internship, the five of us went around doing things awkwardly.

I was at the gates with Tim, the red team was walking in. I longed to see his face but he was dead set on not running into me, I was going to pine for him until I set my feelings free for him to perceive them.

I spotted Lorenzo, who was talking to now a very moody looking Arthur. He noticed I was looking at them, I couldn't help but try to meet Arthur's eyes. He refused to make eye contact, it felt like a stab.

I went back to looking down at my clipboard until a familiar voice called my name, it was Lorenzo.

"Hi Natalie!"

"Hi!"

"Can I steal you for a minute?" He whispered.

"Sure, please follow me sir." I said loud enough for Tim to hear.

We walked to the hospitality unit, he stood still. I asked him about how he was doing , he didn't look to amused.

"Answer me honestly, why are you doing this?" He asked me.

"Doing what?" I looked at him in confusion.

"Making him lose focus, he's been so moody and difficult to work with."

"Stop accusing me of things I haven't done!"

"I'm not accusing you of anything, we can't have him race like this. Both of you need to sort your issues out before he sits in that cockpit."

"I'm sorry I cant do that, he's been avoiding me and he's made it very clear that he doesn't want to talk to me."

"Both of you are so stubborn, it's going to be the death of me." He huffed before storming away.

Great, not only was he making me ache for him but he was also making people around him miserable. Arthur Leclerc, you are being a giant pain and I'm going to end it all soon. As soon as I get done with work that is. Guests started trickling to the hospitality suite, I was completely immersed in work.

"It's lights out and away we go one last time at the start of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix." The commentator announced. This is it, one last lights out, my eyes were welling up.

No, no no Nat! You are not going to cry! I pep talked myself before heading into the balcony to assist the guests, to my surprise Miss Camille was in the balcony! I instantly felt better seeing her there, she definitely was one of my favourite guests.

"Miss Camille! I'm so glad to see you! " I beamed at her.

"Natalie! Glad I caught your eye, please be by my side this evening. My friends decided that races were too boring to attend."

"They don't know what life is, should I get you some more champagne?"

I didn't realise how fast time flew when I was working with Miss Camille, she was a delight. The race was already down to the last lap, I don't know what came over me in that moment. I was ready.