Chapter 18: Darkness in the Mountains

Sharrag was woken by the sound of two Shrrg rushing into the cave, out of breath. He twitched his tail in slight annoyance, before getting up and looking at the two Shrrg. In an instant he was alert. By their look he sensed fear in them. Their fur was standing up on end and by the way they were panting it suggested that they had run a long way in a short amount of time, not something the Shrrg were good at.

What’s wrong?’ he asked the two of them.

Talismen looked up at his leader, ‘A group of humans. Lots of them. More then I think. And they had an Alpha. Scary Alpha. Strange smell from it, and humans feared it. It know we were there.’

Sharrag growled slightly, ‘How?’

‘It felt us. Felt our minds,’ replied the wolf.

The dragon growled again. This meant this new enemy was capable of mind control and manipulation. An enemy like that could not be underestimated. At least they hadn’t sent another dragon. Sharrag doubted he could pull off another trick like the previous one he had with Thorn.

‘How many of them are there?’ he asked Talismen.

‘Ten times ten,’ replied Talismen, ‘If they didn’t have that Alpha, you could fly over and burn them. I don’t think that would work with the Alpha.’

Sharrag nodded his head in agreement. He looked around at the mother Urzhad. She still hadn’t woken up from the attack she had had, and they couldn’t move her either. He let loose a sigh of frustration.

‘We need to move cave, but we can’t leave her here,’ he said.

‘Why not?’ asked Tay’el.

Sharrag growled at her, ‘Because she has helped us. We don’t leave a pack member behind.’ He turned to Talismen, ‘When do you think they’ll try and attack us again?’

Talismen tilted his head in thought, ‘Soon.’

Sharrag nodded again, trying to think of ways to get them off their tail. It all came back to abandoning the cave, but they couldn’t. The Urzhad was far too big for a young dragon to carry, and pushing her would take too long. He growled, he didn’t want to be trapped in a cave again.

He heard Tay’el growl and looked over to her, ‘What’s wrong?’

‘Humans,’ was her reply.

He eyes widened and he looked over at the sleeping forms of his pack, ‘Wake them up and get them ready.’

The two Shrrg nodded and woke the rest of the pack. They tried to wake the Urzhad as well but she was still far from consciousness. Sharrag’s thoughts flew as he tried to figure out a way to get out of this current situation. Humans were closing in, even he could smell the musky scent if them not to far away, and there was a lot of them.