Chapter 10: Dersert and Jungle

Sharrag landed on the top of a mountain, taking deep breaths, trying to gather as much oxygen as he could in a single gasp. The one thing about flying so high is exhaustion sets in much quicker. His wings drooped wearily by his side; his right wing feeling a lot more exhausted then his left.

‘I’ll rest for a while,’ he thought to himself, looking into the distance.

The mountains were still rolling on into the distance. Their peeks poking through the clouds like spikes on a mace. He hadn’t seen another living things during the time he had been flying, except for the occasional insect that had the power to survive these conditions. Sharrag himself was feeling very lightheaded.

The one good thing about flying this high was he was making much better progress then if he was flying through the valleys. If he was down there he would have to continue zigzagging through the mountains and he would risk being seen. He wanted to avoid that if he could.

After an hours rest he took off again, flying over the clouds. The wind was calm up here, which surprised him. There wasn’t any rain either. The clouds below him occasionally flashed with lighting and he could here the rain down below but it never reached up that high. The sun was constantly in view, yet there wasn’t any heat radiating from it. It was like the sun had just been put there for light and nothing else.

The last surprising thing about flying this high was the land below seemed to curve, like it was round. Sharrag snorted at the thought, yet the evidence was right in front of him.

In the distance there seemed to be a break in the clouds where the mountains stopped and the clouds seemed to slope downwards. Sharrag changed his direction and headed towards it. As he got closer he noticed a mountain that was taller then the rest, and instead of a pointed top it had a creator like top instead. Sharrag’s first thought was a volcano.

As he got closer though he began to think of it as not. There was no heat radiating from the top at all. He angled his flight so he flew over the mountain, and he looked down, and stopped in surprise. In the huge creator of the mountain was a huge city. He could just see the two-legs down below, so he doubted that they could see him. He guessed it was a dwarven city because of the amount of buildings made from marble and white stone.

He could also see a lot of ruin in the city and a massive pile of dead bodies that were being burnt. There had probably been a battle recently. The Urgralgra was Sharrag’s first thought, and it appeared he was right. The smell of burnt bodies that reached him was identical to the charred two-legs he had eaten while trapped in the cave.

He studied the city for a while before starting on his journey again. His wings were getting tired after all. As the mountains fell away Sharrag debated whether or not to land. He doubted if anyone was around. There was a gap in the clouds and when he looked down all he saw was sand, hot yellow sand. In fact, the heat of the sun seemed to be returning as well.

He pulled himself in for a short dive as he pieced through the clouds for the first time in two days. The first thing he noticed was the wind. It was a lot stronger then it was in the mountains and he struggled to keep aloft as he got used to the new sensations.

The second thing he noticed was the heat. The ground radiated it like it had been set on unseen fire. There was heat in the wind as well, and the sun gave a good lot of it. To Sharrag it felt wonderful after flying in the cold confines that were above the clouds.