Chapter 13: Arriving Home

Getting back to his pack took far longer then he expected. The desert felt endless, far longer then when he had crossed it before. The heat was harsher as well and he felt himself growing in thirst.

‘I should have taken a drink before I flew,’ he thought.

After an hour or so more of flying a cluster of mountains appeared in the distance. Sharrag felt a leap of joy in his heart, but as he got closer he realised these were not the Beor Mountains he had come to know. They were much smaller and no snow aligned the mountain peeks, nor was the mountain range nearly as big as the Beor Mountains.

As he reached the first mountain the familiar smell of water reached him. He smiled and angled his flight downwards towards the small stream he spotted in the mountain ranges. He landed and took a deep draught of water. It was rather dark where he landed as well. The setting sun wasn’t visible and Sharrag let loose a small sigh. He enjoyed watching the sun sink into the horizon.

After he had drunk he curled up near the bank of the stream and fell to sleep, snoring softly. A pear of eyes peaked at the dragon from behind a rock. They belonged to a human. The rest of his features were hidden beneath a black robe that melted into the darkness, making him look nearly invisible.

From beneath the robe he pulled out a flat stone with jagged edges. His seemingly glowing eyes returned the green dragon and he muttered a few words in the ancient language and the stone seemed to glow. Flashes of green, blue and grey appeared on the stone and once it had finished the human placed the stone in his cloak and disappeared into the night.

* * *

Sharrag woke a little later then he wanted to. The sun was just peeking over the mountain horizon, which he guessed it to be around mid morning. With a groan he hauled himself to his feet and stretched like a cat, yawning. He took another drink of water before flapping his wings and taking off into the sky.

After another few hours of flight he finally spots the Beor Mountains in the distance. He let out a small roar of joy. He missed the large mountains and lush green forests, even if this little adventure had held a little more interest, he preferred the place with his wolves.

Another few hours and he reached the first of the mountains. He tilted his flight upwards so he flew up and over them with a small smile. He prepared himself for another exhausting flight over the top.

‘My wings are going to be strong after this,’ he thought with a smile.

The next few days went by quickly and before long the end of the Beor’s appeared in the distance. Sharrag frowned. If he could see them then he had passed over the valley where his wolves were a long time ago. With a growl of frustration he descended below the peeks and into the valley. He spread out his mind, trying to find the wolves. He didn’t have any luck.

He descended further until he was skimming across the treetops. The valley he was in wasn’t familiar at all. With a sigh he followed the valley for a while, before turning into another one. Before long the sky began to turn dark again. The dragon landed in a cave with a sigh and fell to sleep.