Chapter 7: Trapped

Sharrag woke up early. He growled as a small amount of pain laced up his wing, which didn’t seem to be getting any better. He stretched out his legs and yawned. The other Shrrg were still asleep at this time of day, it had been a big day previous.

The dragon dragged his feet over to the pool of water and took a large draught of it. The spark helped him wake up. He walked back over to the Shrrg and plunked himself down. His wing sent out another jolt of pain causing him too look down at it. The snapped part of the bone was sticking out with a sharp jagged edge. He had attempted to place the bone back inside but whenever he touched that part it hurt.

He whimpered as he looked to the sky, wishing he could get back up there. It had been so long since his last flight and his good wing was beginning to ache because of lack of exercise. He stretched it out then, letting the green scales of the wing catch the few rays of light that made it through the underbrush.

He shook his head, not letting himself dwell on the fact. He could breath fire now, and that was something to think about, not the fact that his wing was broken. He gazed towards the cave where the bear lived and snorted, whishing he could live in the cave. It would be a lot safer.

Urgralgra had been spotted near the waterfall, and Sharrag was afraid they would find them. It had been luck that they hadn’t so far. He doubted they could hold off an army of the Urgralgra, even with the extra help of his fire and the Urzhad. They needed another plan to help with defence, especially since he couldn’t fly.

That thought set in his head he began to explore a little around the clearing. The previous day he hadn’t been able to do much because of his exhaustion. He walked to the edge of the small outcrop of rocks and looked up at the waterfall, for the first time wondering where it came from. It was strange to have a pool of water coming from a river that came from the top of a mountain. If he had his wings he would find out. He growled in frustration and padded back to his pack.

For the next hour he explored the small area. He stopped and looked up as the first few members of the pack stirred. One by one they got up and went down to the pool for a drink. It was good to have a source of water so close to where they slept.

There was a movement in the cave as the mother bear and her cubs emerged slowly. The cubs were weary of the larger Shrrg and stayed close to their mother. Sharrag felt amusement coming from a few of pack members. He was surprised because feelings like these rarely came from the Shrrg.

There was another surprise in store for him as one of the Shrrg pawed at his leg. He reached out his mind towards it and was surprised to find the wolf sending him images. It sent him an image of his broken wing and then him flying in the air. It also showed a picture of the Shrrg stalking through the forest. Sharrag knew what it wanted to convey. He slowly shook his head, although the surprise that the Shrrg was actually communicating with him was surprising enough.

The Shrrg growled in annoyance at his reply. Sharrag was a great help when it came to hunting and the pack only had five members that could hunt. Sharrag new that there numbers needed to increase, and he made a mental note to try and take another pack around the area and join them to his one.

He sat down and watched the Shrrg. There wasn’t really much to do at this moment in time. He knew that they were in another pack’s territory so hunting to much would be dangerous, besides, they had had quite a substantial meal the day before and Sharrag knew that he could live without food for another few days, hopefully by then his wing would have healed, or at least enough to fly.