Chapter 21: Rescue Mission

Talismen growled in surprise. The two legs moved much faster then he expected and in less then a second were behind the group of charging wolves, their slim swords drawn from their sheaths. Talismen spun around and sent his mind to the other Shrrg to do the same.

Once of the two legs put up its hand and yelled something in the strange language. A sudden calm was sent over the wolves, and they relaxed. The two-legs relaxed as well, and one of them put the sword back in its sheath. The Shrrg didn’t follow suit, for Talismen could still feel something strange with them. The language they had spoken in, it was almost manipulative.

He sat on his haunches and reached his mind out to the two-legs, determined to know exactly who and what they are. To his surprise he was met with extremely strong barriers, nearly as strong as Sharrag’s. He tilted his head and did the wolf equivalent of a frown.

The two-leg’s mind that he had touched looked around in confusion for the thing that had touched its mind. Annoyed that he couldn’t get the two-legs attention he pawed the ground and growled, stretching his mind out to the two-leg again. It looked at him with a confused expression. Suddenly another mind touched his, causing him to growl again and withdraw his mind back into himself and put up mind barriers. The two-leg turned to his companion and said something to him in the same strange language. Its companion seemed to be just as confused as it was.

It reached out its mind and touched Talismen’s as well, causing the Shrrg to growl again, putting his ears back and snarling. The two two-legs looked at each other. The one that had spoken before tried to speak to him again, this time in a different language. Talismen quickly recognised it as the language of the dwarves, although he didn’t understand what was saying. Instead he tilted his head to the side to show he didn’t understand.

“How about now?” the two-leg suddenly said in the language he was familiar with, “Nod if you can understand me.”

Talismen eagerly nodded, and wagged his tail slightly glad that they could find a language they both could speak in. The two-legs glanced at each other again. Talismen tried to reach into their mind again, and was stopped by that extremely strong mind barrier.

“Sorry Shrrg, but we can not allow you into our minds,” said the two-leg, “If we are to talk you will allow us into yours.”

Talismen growled along with a few of the other Shrrg. He knew they wouldn’t except a deal like that. The two-legs seemed to come to the same conclusion. They began talking again in the ancient language. One seemed greatly apposed to what ever the other one was saying but eventually he grudging nodded. The two-leg turned back to Talismen.

“I will allow you into my mind, but be ware not to wonder to far, for not many creatures come out of an elf’s mind unscathed,” it said.

‘So that’s what they are, elves,’ thought Talismen.

Sharrag had told them about elves. He had said that they seemed friendly enough, and had helped him when he had crash-landed in the forest of Du Weldenvarden. However they were only two of the many thousands of elves that inhabited the great forest. The green dragon didn’t totally trust them, and that meant neither did his pack.