Chapter 23: Healing

‘I think he’s waking up,’ said a voice somewhere in Sharrag’s head. At least he thought it was in his head. Nothing seemed real in this realm of blackness that he had been living in. It was strange almost. Occasionally he could swear he saw faces or maybe an occasional flicker of scales. Sometimes he felt like he was moving, flying through the sky, and at other times he was deep within a cave. It confused him.

A small groan escaped his maw as a light began to fill the darkness that had been his home. Slowly it split through the darkness followed by the colour green. Sounds and smells also began to assault him. They were familiar scents at least. The smell of fur and smoke and fire.

The one eye eventually found its way open and the dragon winced at the sudden impact of the light. He twitched his tail slightly and scanned his surroundings. He was in a forest. Just a plain old forest with no extremely tall trees and very little undergrowth. Maybe because a fire had been through it recently and quite a number of things were burnt.

‘Sharrag?’ said a voice piecing his mind with the sudden sound.

He groaned again as his damaged consciousness winced at the feeling. The mind that had been in his instantly withdrew from him, feeling the sudden pain he had felt. Sharrag shut his eye again, focusing on taking away the pain before opening his eye again.

“His mind is badly damaged,” said a voice, one that he couldn’t pinpoint, “What he did, it was amazing. Something that has never been done before, but even a dragon’s mind can’t go through something like that without damage. I’m surprised he isn’t dead.”

A small growl also sounded. It didn’t sound extremely happy.

“Trust me Talismen, we are doing everything we can,” he said, “But I haven’t seen this before. No elf has. It’ll take him time to heal, if he ever does.”

Sharrag moved his head slightly and tried to stretch his mind out towards the two beings that were communicating. He growled as he found he couldn’t. It was like trying to stretch an extremely saw muscle or walking after a marathon. His mind couldn’t handle the pressure of expanding to another’s.

Something moved into his vision. A shaggy head and wet fur. Talismen. He smiled slightly. He could remember the name of something. As soon as that name came to him others came as well. Tay’el, Craves, Siserl. He groaned again as he forced himself to slow down. He knew the other creature was right about his mind repairing. What ever happened he was sure did serious damage. He stopped himself as he tried to remember.

The wolf in front of him gazed at him with a tilted head. General concern was shining in his eyes. Sharrag smiled wearily at him. A few more memories rushed through his mind. Of his pack and a home in the mountains. He shook his head slightly, controlling the rush and slowly got to his feet, shaking himself out.

He was surprised to find that while his mind hurt, his physical body felt fine. He gazed over his wings and forelegs. Something told him he should be injured. His gaze fell on a scar that ran through the membrane of his right wing. Another memory came to him. Green fire in the forest and a sharp pain as something ran past him with a sword.

“Steady their big guy,” said the voice that had been talking before.