Chapter 12: The Elves

Sharrag became conscious long before he opened his eyes. The first thing he noticed was that he was laying on something soft, maybe a bed of moss or something of the like. The scents were that off the fresh smell of broken tree limbs and some sort of strange scent that was familiar to a human’s, but different at the same time.

The dragon’s eyes slowly opened. He could only see green for a moment, but once his vision cleared he realised he was in a forest. It took him a moment to realise what forest and what had just happened. He growled and tried to get to his feet but stopped when a pain hit his head.

A voice said something he didn’t understand from behind him, but it calmed him down and he relaxed a little. The words were strange words, words that held power. He tried to look backwards to see the source of the words but the pain stopped him.

A two-leg walked into his vision. It was one of those human looking ones with strange pointed ears. However he could smell two. He growled at it, clawing slightly at the ground.

The two-leg said something again, and Sharrag frowned. He couldn’t tell whether they were using magic or anything, but at least he could feel that they meant no harm. He titled his head and reached out his mind to the creature, only to be stopped by the strongest mental barriers he had ever encountered. He growled slightly again.

The two-leg shook its head and let out a musical laugh, saying something in its own language again. The words still resonated but Sharrag had no understanding of what they meant. He tilted his head and tried to reach into the creature’s mind again, he wanted to know what it was saying.

Another voice came from behind him, just as musical and magical as this other creature’s voice. It said something back with a smile and a laugh before turning its gaze back to Sharrag.

“Can you understand me now?” it asked with a slight smile.

Sharrag nodded his head, growling in slight pain because of the headache.

“Good, now we can talk,” it said, “Will you let me into your mind?”

Sharrag growled and shook his head. He still didn’t know the creatures intentions. It may not want to harm him but there is a very different thing between stealing someone’s memories and physically harming them.

“I mean you know ill,” said the creature, “I just want to be able to talk with you.”

Sharrag tilted his head and the whimpered slightly, pointing his claw towards it. It frowned a little before understanding lit in its eyes.

“You want me to open my mind?” it asked.

Sharrag nodded his head.

“Fine.”

Sharrag’s eyes widened in surprise at the ease of getting the creature to open its own mind.

“Just don’t dive in to far. Most things that enter an elf’s mind get lost and can’t find there way back out,” said the creature.