Chapter 5: Fire

Sharrag woke with a start. It was early morning; the sun was just reaching the edge of the valley. The grey forms of the Shrrg were still asleep. The dragon got up onto his feet and frowned. It wasn’t like him to wake up so early.

He stalked out of the cave silently, his head cocked to the side, listening for any sign of danger. It was then he heard the trudging sound of thousands of two-legs, but these sounded different. The sound was heavier then that made by a dwarf or human. It sounded almost as if a heard of Urzhad were walking through the valley on two legs. He hoped it wasn’t.

Sneaking through the brush with expertise he managed to get to the closer and closer to the sound, until he saw spots of colour through the bush. What he saw frightened him. They were two-legs, but a kind he had never seen before. They were tall for one thing, gigantic for a two-leg. All of them over six foot, and wearing heavy metal plates. There skin was a dry looking sand colour, like the desert Angela had taught him about. They all had huge horns on there heads that looked slightly unnatural.

And then there were the even larger ones scattered throughout the army. They were as tall as him when he was standing on four legs and they towered over their kin. Sharrag felt a slight growl emerge from his throat when he saw them, he didn’t doubt they would be tough to fight if they found him.

He turned around and was about to head back to his cave when something stopped him. A presence that made him feel dread all through his body. It made him fear. He looked back into the crowd of horned two-legs. There, in the middle of the army, was a figure. Unlike the rest of the two-legs this one had a rather human looking body, except for the fact his skin was as pale as the snow on the mountains. The larger two-legs were giving this figure a large girth, letting him ride on his pitch-black horse with ease.

Sharrag couldn’t find any weapons on the figure, but Sharrag doubted he needed any. Its gaze swung over the army and transfixed on the dragon within the bush. Sharrag stayed stock still, knowing that any sudden movement would give him away, if it hadn’t already. The figure stared at Sharrag for a few more moments then turned his gaze away calling to a few of his subjects. By the time he looked back at the place where Sharrag had been the dragon was gone, running as fast as he dared back to his cave.

When he reached it he stretched out his mind to the Shrrg inside and prodded them awake. They woke quickly, sensing the alarm in their alpha’s mind. The dragon skidded into the cave and gave them silent orders, follow me and keep as silent as possible. The Shrrg complied.

Sharrag lead them out of the cave and instead of going into the valley like he usually did he lead them left and around the mountain. The Shrrg followed him without question, for they smelled the scent of the hundreds of strange creatures, and they knew they were deadly.

Sharrag continued moving as quickly as possible, wanting to get as quickly as he could away from what was in the valley. They were stopped as one of the wolves at the back let loose a threatening growl.  Sharrag turned swiftly around and growled as well. There were five of the two-legged horned creatures standing there. They each held a weapon of some kind.

The Shrrg were staring at the new comers and Sharrag felt fear in there heads. They had never seen such threatening two-legs before. Sharrag mentally warned them to get behind him, they didn’t hesitate. Sharrag faced them, his teeth bared and his tail lashing.