Chapter 6: An Unexpected Ally

The injured dragon collapsed on the ground. The pain was to much. The shrrg quickly gathered around him, wondering what was happening. The pain in his shoulder, the one that had been cut by the Urgralgra was deeply infected. He knew this just by looking at it.

Sharrag let out a slight whimper as one of the wolves licked at his wound. Even that movement let out a spark of pain, yet it felt good at the same time.  A strange combination.

He dragged himself to his feet, wincing as he put weight on the injured leg. The Shrrg around him watched their leader in remorse, feeling his pain. He took the lead again and continued to walk through the forest, hoping to find an empty cave where his Shrrg and him could rest for the night.

The past week had been full of danger. The pack being forced deeper into the mountains and through other Shrrg pack’s territories. On many occasions Sharrag had been forced to use his newfound ability to destroy the few packs that did attack them. More then once Urgralgra had found them, and been burnt down by his fire, but all of it was beginning to where down on him. His wing was still broken, bent at an odd angle and the wound in his shoulder was getting worse by the day. He had made a note to find the nearest stream or river and wash it.

The pack continued to drag there way through the thick bush, scenting for any sign of the enemies they faced. A few of the Shrrg used their bodies to keep the branches from tugging at Sharrag’s wing and leg wounds. They continued through the bush for another hour before Sharrag was forced to collapse again, and scowled himself for it. He was the one who was slowing the Shrrg pack down, yet he knew that if he did let them go on ahead they would likely get killed by other Shrrg, or the Urgralgra.

His eyes flickered up as he heard the faint sound of a waterfall in the distance. He growled with happiness and sent an image to the other Shrrg about it. The few growls of response told him that they had already heard it. With new found energy the great dragon lifted himself off the ground and began to walk towards the water source. The other Shrrg followed him.

They arrived at the water source a few hours later. The sun was low in the horizon and already dark shadows were being pulled over the valleys like a blanket. Sharrag new that the sun would soon disappear, for days weren’t long in the Beor Mountains.

The dragon sighed in relief as the small pond came into view, then growled as the scent of a rather annoying creature came to his nose. The other Shrrg looked fearfully at their leader, as they wondered what to do. Sharrag told them mentally to keep going, and they did.

Drinking from a small lake where the water fell was an Urzhad, the huge bears that had become such a nuisance. Sharrag felt his anger grow at the sight of the bear. It hadn’t smelt them yet, probably because they were approaching from downwind. Eventually thought the staggering dragon was unable to keep the stealth he had been keeping for this whole time. His broken wing got caught up in a low bush, causing the dragon to growl and snort with pain. The bear’s head shot up at the sound, and turned towards the Shrrg approaching from behind. It roared at them, standing up on two feet.

Sharrag reacted instantly. He speared the bear’s consciousness with his own, causing the bear to gasp in pain. It fell back to all fours and scratched at its head. Sharrag quickly gained control of the creature, and found it was a female. The cave it was in was housing four cubs that it had been looking after for the past few weeks. Sharrag could see that she also had been forced out of her home by the Urgralgra army.