Chapter 34: A New Land

A flash of green past over a large lake of water followed closely by a sapphire

blue. The crystal clear lake showed the reflection of two dragons flying through the air, both around the same size and age. The sounds of their wing beats and rumbles of laughter were the only things that could be heard in the surrounding area.

Sharrag took a large flap of his wings and shot to the air as quickly as he could. Saphira followed close behind, determined to pin the wild dragon to the ground. In his claws he held a rather plumb looking deer that was the object of the chase. He looked back at the blue dragon who was steadily closing in on him, though not quite fast enough.

'Sharrag! Give that back! You know I was going to grab that first!' yelled the frustrated female.

Sharrag chortled a laugh and continued to fly higher, knowing that Saphira couldn't quite reach the height he could. Flying over the Beor Mountains had given him an almost immunity to the cold and lack of oxygen that was found at higher heights. Just as he thought Saphira realised what he was doing and pulled away with a roar of frustration. He knew he would pay for this stolen kill later.

A month had passed since the two of them had met. It had been the best month of Sharrag's life, one of the few times he could remember that was without worry and fear of survival. While Sharrag did spend a lot of time by himself, Saphira and him had been getting along easily. The green dragon still found himself entranced by her and couldn't help but spend as much time as possible with her.

It was a hard as well, for she had her eggs to look after and a few of the dragons from the eggs from Vroengard had hatched as well. One for one of the elves that lived with Eragon and the rest were wild. Sharrag had been trying to look after the wild ones, trying to teach them what he knew of the world and its dangers and challenges, but hatchling dragons were harder to deal with then Shrrg pups.

Eragon and the elves had been building some sought of two-leg castle for the new generation of dragon riders. Sharrag helped when they needed it but he found it boring and tedious work. He didn't understand why they couldn't just live in caves like he did. It was a lot easier and caves were a lot harder to break.

Sharrag smiled as he disappeared into the clouds and from view of Saphira. He quickly closed and hid his mind from the blue dragoness and began to make his way towards where Eragon and the elves were. Tucking in his wings he shot down towards the mountain where the castle was being created.

The new land they had found was a large mountain range that was somewhere between the height of the Beors and the Spine, though the mountains looked pretty small to him. Eragon and the elves had sailed the boat into a large valley that acted like almost like a giant bowl. In the middle was a large lake about three kilometres wide and four long. As far as Sharrag had seen there wasn't anyone that lived there besides them and the natural wildlife, but he had seen evidence of two-leg activity near the area.

The castle they were building was on one side of the valley and the cave he had chosen was on the other. It was a deliberate decision because, while Eragon and the other two-legs helped with raising the dragons, it was a smart idea to leave the wild dragons to fend for themselves without outside intervention.

Sharrag landed on the grounds where the castle was being built and hurried inside. The vastness of the castle impressed him. It was big enough to fit a dragon over ten times his size and could fit a few hundred comfortably, well at least that was what he had thought. So far they had built the central part of the palace, the place where he assumed all the new dragon riders would meet and eat and talk about what was to come. He had seen the plans for the castle, and was impressed by how far Eragon was thinking.