Chapter 19: A Dragon's Freedom

The ear splitting howl of the giant wolf of the Beor Mountains struck through the clearing as great as any arrow. The soldiers looked around in slight fear at the sound. Many of them had heard of the stories of the creatures that roamed these mountains, of giant creatures as large as houses. Not many had actually seen them however.

Sharrag snarled as he struggled to hold his weakened mind barrier against the wrath of the creature before him, yet it was proving impossible. Ever so slowly his mind barriers began to fall. The creature smiled at his victory over the wild dragon, knowing that he now had him right where he wanted him. He wasn’t counting on one thing however.

Another howl ran through the valley and a murmur rumbled amongst the soldiers. There was suddenly a cry of fear from one of them as five Shrrg burst from the undergrowth. The swords in their mouths glittered green amongst the fire that burned the forest.

The small pack crashed into the men and their wards. While a ward was good for defending against most attacks, it would take an extremely strong one to hold against a full on attack from the Shrrg. Men fell before the five like trees to a fire but Talismen only had his sights set on one. He picked up speed, aiming for the creature attacking Sharrag’s mind.

The creature faulted as it saw the giant wolf running towards him. That falter was all Sharrag needed. With a shove he pushed the creature out of his mind and reinforced his mind barriers with all he could. The creature screeched in alarm and leapt out of the way of the wolf. It drew a sword in the same movement. It was a short sword that seemed to suck the light from the air.

Talismen turned so he was facing the creature, and at the same time contacted Sharrag.

‘Go, I’ll keep this thing focused on me. You fly, and as soon as you are up in the air, we retreat,’ he said.

‘I can’t. That creature has me under some sought of magical spell,’ growled Sharrag, ‘I can’t move.’

Talismen glanced back at Sharrag in surprise. It was that movement that cost him the fight. The creature jumped forward, slicing it blade across Talismen’s maw. The Shrrg yelped in pain and surprise and dropped the blade, backing away. The creature didn’t stop and instead hit Talismen across the jaw with far more strength then should have been possible for a two-leg, knocking him over. He then raised his sword above his head, ready for the kill.

Sharrag let out a strangled roar of sorrow and anger as he watched as his friend was about to loose his life. The creature hesitated and looked towards the dragon, a smiled spreading across his face. He placed his blade against Talismen’s neck.

“Call off your wolves,” it hissed.

Sharrag whimpered again but spread out his mind to the other Shrrg, ‘Stop, they have Talismen.’

The rest of the Shrrg stopped what they were doing and turned towards what was happening in the middle of the burning forest.

“Now,” rasped the creature, “Open your mind.”