Chapter 22: Broken Magic

‘Sharrag, get here now!’ the shade’s mental voice pieced into the dragon’s mind making him growl in slight pain, ‘Now!’

His body rumbled as Sythrel shouted his true name afterwards, compelling him to obey. He got up from where he was laying down and stretched his wings, ready to fly. That was when the cries of surprise and fear started. He also sensed magic in the air, and a flash fire was sent through the woods.

He took to the air, flying high into the clouds to get a view of the situation. As far as he could tell the pack had made their first attack. Tents had been knocked over and a few bloody remains of limbs were spread across the ground. One of the tents had been pushed into a fire that was now steadily getting stronger.

His gaze turned to the forest where he knew the wolves would be. He flinched as the shade once again spoke to him.

‘Kill them, burn the forest if you have to, but I want you to kill them,’ the command was followed with his true name, once again making him unable to resist.

He tucked his wings into his side and dived towards the forest. He let out an ear splitting roar, hoping to warn the Shrrg of his inevitable attack. He lined his mouth with the fire he was about to breath and held it in his throat, until he was just above the trees. He opened his wings and in the same movement unleashed the emerald fire that had been trapped in his jaw.

The fire lit the forest up instantly. The trees that the fire hit were almost instantly incinerated from the heat. He angled the fire through the trees beginning to slowly burn away all the places the wolves had to hide.

A howl was suddenly heard on the other side of the camp. Sharrag frowned, what were they playing at? It wasn’t like Talismen to allow them to make so much noise that even under the fire Sharrag could find them. He flew towards the sound of the howl, ready to burn the general area with his fire. Another howl suddenly sounded from behind him causing him to pause in mid air and look the other way.

‘A you trying to confuse me?’ thought Sharrag with a frown, ‘You know that won’t work, why then? Could this all be a trick?’

A third howl was sounded in another different direction, this time it sounded younger, and was more towards the camp. Talismen was his first thought but it really didn’t sound like him. He dived towards the camp, his stomach barely skimming the tops of the trees. With a great cry he launched himself over the top of the trees and unleashed his fire. The Shrrg that was there avoided the attack and sprinted into the forest. There was a cry of surprise as many of the men that were near him were burned up in the flames.

‘Watch where you are flaming dragon?’ yelled Sythrel enraged, ‘I command you to kill the wolves, not my men!’

Sharrag snorted, it wasn’t exactly his fault. Thinking back to what had happened earlier he was sure the flame had hit the wolf, or at least the heat would have been able to burn them to a crisp. Fur wasn’t exactly fire proof.

His attention was drawn by another howl from a hundred metres away. The clearing where he had wanted to sleep. He flew up high and gazed down towards it, seeing three of the Shrrg standing in the clearing looking around. One of them let out another howl. From this high up Sharrag couldn’t tell who it was, but he had a fair idea. With a roar he turned and dived down towards them.