Chapter 33: Meeting at Last

A forest flooded into view on the horizon. The same forest that had forced Sharrag into running. He felt a strange feeling in his stomach as he winged his way over the first line of trees. The first time he had flow over the forest his wings had failed, he wasn't extremely confident flying over it again.

'Slow down here Sharrag,' said Levial linking his mind with Sharrag's, 'The barrier should be coming up soon.'

Sharrag turned his head towards the elf, wondering what he was talking about. He did as he was told however and slowed his pace. He looked down at the forest below, watching the animals that ran below. For all its dangers the forest of Du Weldenvarden was the most beautiful place he had ever been to. Now that he thought about it, it was probably magic that kept the place so alive. He found it amusing that something so unnatural could keep a place natural. He grinned at the thought.

'Sharrag stop!' yelled Levial above him.

Not knowing what was happening Sharrag instantly halted his flight, nearly throwing the elves off the saddle. A growl rumbled through his throat as he looked for any sign of danger. Not finding any he looked towards the elves in confusion.

'What's wrong?' he asked.

'That barrier is here,' replied Levial, 'You need to land to pass through without getting harmed. It prevents people or creatures from entering the forest through magical means.'

'Flying isn't magical,' said the dragon confused.

'In part it is,' said Levial, 'If dragons could fly without magic they would have to be a lot smaller.'

Sharrag nodded in agreement, though he had never thought of it that way before. He descended to the ground from a nearby clearing. Once he landed he began to walk forward without any trouble from the supposed barrier at all. When the elves gave the all clear he took off again, though was careful how he flew, in case his wings did seize up on him.

Hours later nothing had happened to his wings besides the slow exhaustion of flying for large amounts of time. Sharrag had a lighter feeling in his heart as he realised he was getting much closer to finally meeting her. He could see through the forest that there were strange buildings built into the trees and the occasional elfish two-leg scurrying through the forest, looking up in slight fear and confusion at the dragon above.

'Stop here Sharrag,' Levial spoke once more, 'We must gain admittance through Gilderien the wise to safely pass into Ellesmera.'

'You elves have a lot of precautions,' mumbled Sharrag with a snort, 'And who is this 'Gilderien'?'

His question was answered as a strange and ancient mind touched his own. Sharrag snorted with surprise and quickly withdrew into the barriers of his mind blocking the presence. The intruder mind pressed gently but forcefully against Sharrag's mind until the dragon thought it better to let it have access. He was glad that the mind only stayed on the fringes of his consciousness.

'Dragon, why have you come here?' it asked.