Chapter 30: The Red Dragon Returns

For the next few weeks Sharrag was constantly waking up and falling asleep again. He managed to drink some water during that time but he wasn't able to eat or even walk dew to the pain it caused him. The elves were becoming slightly worried for the dragon. He may not be dead yet, but if he didn't eat soon he may die of starvation.

Over a month after the shade's defeat Sharrag woke up once more, this time feeling a lot better then he did previous. He lay for a second, the dull pain in his throat still present, though not quite as bad as it had been a couple of weeks back. He debated whether to get up or not. Even if he did feel better he was still week. A rumble in his stomach forced him to realise just how hungry he was. With a snort he forced himself from where he had been resting, stumbling slightly on his hardly used limbs.

No one else was around at that moment, and it was the first time he realised that he was in a cave, lit up by magically burning torches. He stumbled towards the cave entrance, using his tail to keep himself balanced against the cave walls. As he came into the sun he squinted against it, the light being brighter then it had been in the cave.

'Sharrag?' said a confused voice from his head.

The dragon looked around and smiled as he came across one of his younger wolves, Fang, 'Yes.'

'You are awake,' said Fang, a little confused with the dragon's sudden appearance, 'You are supposed to be sleeping.'

Sharrag rumbled with laughter, and was happy to find that while it hurt a little, it didn't hurt so much as before. He could withstand it.

'I may sleep later, but right now I am hungry. Very hungry,' he told the young Shrrg.

Fang nodded his head, 'Follow me.'

Sharrag nodded his head, hauling himself off the cave wall. He stumbled after the Shrrg, who continued to glance back worriedly at his leader. Fang had grown up under Sharrag and he had never seen the dragon so week before, even after the shade had broken his mind.

'Are you alright?' asked Fang.

Sharrag let a tired smile towards the wolf, 'Trust me Fang, this is the best I've felt for a long time.'

Fang nodded though was not entirely convinced. They walked down to the valley. As they went Sharrag noticed an increasing number of Shrrg coming out of the forest. In fact, as he looked down into the valley, he realised there were quite a few thousand of them mulling around the valley. Not quite as much as when they had first come, but enough that they looked almost like a grey see in the regrowing forest.

'I didn't realise we had killed so many,' said Sharrag.

'We haven't, quite a few of the packs have gone hunting. We need a constant supply of food for the many Shrrg. And now that you have waken up maybe more,' said Fang, 'Talismen has been leading them in your stead while you have been asleep, once he had healed of course.'

Sharrag nodded, proud swelling up in him for his second in command. Talismen had proved his worth to the pack again and again. He had no doubt that he would make a great Alpha for the Sharrag's pack.

They walked through the Shrrg to a pile of Feldunost in the middle of the army. Sharrag's belly grumbled again at the sight. He picked up his pace slightly, now getting used to his legs again. The Shrrg made a path for him, knowing that the Alpha had the right to eat first. They were also slightly afraid. Sharrag may be a severely weakened but he could still kill a Shrrg rather easily with a swipe of his tail or talons.