Chapter 4: The Blue Dragoness

The dragon skimmed over the tops of the trees, flying silently. Three black streaks were powering along below him, dodging through the trees easily. Lumbering along behind them was three more blurs, not moving quite as fast as their elders, but silent all the same.

The dragon flew higher into the air, beating his powerful wings and gaining height quickly. A herd of Feldunost were grazing in a clearing. There were no dwarves near them so the dragon assumed they were wild, but just to be sure he examined their minds. They had never seen a fence in their life.

Grinning in the only way a dragon could he sent a mental picture to the Shrrg on the ground. He showed them a series of images. Him flying down to the Feldunost on the opposite side to them. The giant wolves spreading out to form a wall of fur and muscle, the younger ones on the side. He showed them the giant goats as they ran towards them, and once he got a sense of acknowledgement from the wolves below he put the plan into action.

He swung around behind them; banking heavily, then closed his wings quickly, and dived. He fell through the air and he closed his eyes in pleasure. The emotions in his head spiralled out of control as the full pleasure of flight took over him. Just before he hit the ground he opened his eyes, and his wings shot out. The pull of muscles in his wings made him wince, but it was worth it.

The Feldunost still didn’t notice him, and proceeded with there grazing without a care in the world. He snorted; he was about to make himself noticed. He opened his maw and let out the loudest roar he could. The sound echoed throughout the valley. It took two seconds for the Feldunost to realise the sound, and two more seconds to start there stampede in the opposite direction to the horrifying sound of a dragon’s bloodthirsty roar. The thing was, they ran right into the six Shrrg.

The wolves instantly picked out the weakest of the herd and went for it. The two from the front dove into the herd, diving through the goats with ease. They managed to get their target out of the herd towards the left. Two wolves came from the side, one of the more experienced ones and a newly matured pup. Together they took down the goat. The pup got the honour of her first kill, ripping the Feldunost’s throat out.

The dragon felt the cubs pride in the kill, and sent her a gentle feeling of gratitude, telling her well done. The cub howled into the air with victory, and was soon joined by the other four. Together they feasted on the goat and began to drag the remains back to their den. The dragon decided to go for his own kill, swooping down a picking up his own goat. It struggled for a few seconds before it stopped, dead.

He sent an image to wolves, telling them that he was just going to be eating on a mountainside. They acknowledged him once more, they were used to his often disappearing. He was naturally a solitary creature after all.

He landed on the side of the mountain and began to wolf down his meal. He was still growing rather quickly. Another month had passed since his meeting with what he now knew as a human. Her name was Angela, and had been teaching him all she knew about the dragons, and also how to speak with his mind and shield it. It was tough at first to adapt the new life but he found himself a quick learner and the language of humans was coming easily. He felt he remembered some of it from when he was within his egg as well.

As he went through his thoughts a flicker of blue caught his eyes. Frowning he looked up from the bloody remains of his meal, and froze. There, flying through his valley, was another dragon. She was slightly smaller then him, with a longer tail and neck. Her scales glittered the colour of dark blue sapphires and her lighter underbelly the colour of the sky. Her wings were beating beautifully, catching every updraft without the slightest difficulty.