PART ONE

I WAS IN ENGLISH class when I got the news

           I WAS IN ENGLISH class when I got the news. The principal pulled me out along with my sister, and told us that our step father had passed away. I wasn't sad. I know that might sound harsh, but it's the truth.

He died from a heart attack. Shocking, really, I didn't know he had a heart. This is bad news for us. This means we have to move... again. Every time something goes wrong, we pack up our bags and leave everyone and everything behind. Never to be seen again.

I should warn you, before we really get into the story. My mom named all of us after the places we were born. My sisters name is Virginia, my brothers name is Austin, and I'm Amarilla. Yea, it also means yellow in Spanish. Truth be told, my mother wasn't expecting twins, so she named Ginny after the city she was born in, and me after the city she was born in.

"Holy shit, I'm gonna miss you." Taylor whined from my bed.

"Believe me, I'll miss you more." I pushed some earrings through my ears and stepped back, looking myself over in the mirror. "Besides, you have Rebecca and Marissa, you'll be fine. Me, on the other hand, I'll be starting fresh. I'll be the new girl." My lip curled upward in disgust.

"Need I remind you that you won't be the only new girl?" Taylor stood up from the bed, zipping up the back of my black dress.

"Right, because being the new girl with her new girl twin sister is going to be so much fun!" I flashed her a sarcastic smile through the mirror. "Okay, how do I look?"

She spun me around, frowning. "This outfit is a total bummer."

"It's a funeral, Tay." I laughed, slipping on my flats.

"Ugh, funerals are the worst. The people there are always so uptight."

✿ ✿ ✿

Ginny and I stood, staring down at the dead body of our step-father. "Poor Amber Lynn. I mean, I know they had their problems with the divorce, but still," Austin walked over to us as we listened in on a nearby conversation. "she must be devastated. Have you seen the new wife? Who shows that much cleavage at a funeral? Tacky." Ginny dragged Austin and I away from the casket.

"Oops, pardon me." Ginny shouldered the woman. "I tripped." I laughed as we walked away.

We now stood a few feet away from the crowd that surrounded my mother. "Kenny was the best. After being a single mother for so long, he was like a godsend. And he was wonderful with the kids. He treated 'em like his very own." I shivered, wrapping my arms around my body.

"I hate that man." I mumbled, earning a sympathy smile from Ginny as she wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"He was a generous angel, and I can't believe he's gone." My mother never was a great actor. I don't know what she's up to, but I know it's not good.