PART ELEVEN

I SAT IN CLASS, doing anything but paying attention

I SAT IN CLASS, doing anything but paying attention. I had my phone in my lap, under the desk, writing out a message. Dear Marcus, class is so boring, I think I might actually rip my ears off so I don't have to listen to Mr. Gitten make any more offensive remarks. - Your friend dying of boredom.

"Miss Miller, something you'd like to share with the class?" I looked up at the teacher, rolling my eyes.

"No, your honor."

He sighed. "Now, if the other Miss Miller would like to join me up front to read her report."

Ginny got up and made her way to the front of the room. "Lydia Bennet is described in the book as untamed, unabashed, wild, noisy, and fearless. My free read project is internalized sexism: Why We Don't Like Lydia Bennet.

"The unsung feminist of the book is Lydia. She's more an agent of free will than even Elizabeth, because she bucks societies rules and acts of her own agency. So, why do we judge her so harshly?"

"Because she's a slut." I heard the wannabe cool kid, Brian, shout from the back of the class.

"Yes, Brian. Tell us more about the views of feminism you've formed while jerking off to Gal Gadot."

"Woah, Ginny, calm down." I spoke up, knowing this isn't how Ginny usually acts.

Hunter raised his hand. "You can't deny Lydia's actions were rash and ill-advised."

Ginny's face dropped. "Stop shaming her." I furrowed my eyebrows, knowing something else must be going on.

"Stop... shaming Lydia Bennet?"

"Okay!" Max spoke up. "Ginny convinced me, Lydia Bennet is hundo a feminist."

"She almost took her whole family down. It was immature." Hunter chuckled.

"Women get a million different messages on how they're supposed to be. It's confusing."

"Okay, Ginny, you need to calm down. You're being aggressive." The teacher intervened.

"Why? You don't like that she's telling the truth?" I spoke up. "She is. Women are often told to act like a lady and be mature and polite, but when the guys get us alone... they want nothing more than for us to lose control."

"Miss Miller!"

"Amar and Ginny Miller, please report to the office." I threw a book down on the ground, walking out.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Really, mom? Taking us to the gyno? Putting us on the pill? Did you really need to do that in the middle of a school day?" Ginny asked as Georgia pulled up into the driveway.

"Sure did. You have a boyfriend you're sending topless photos to."

"You sent photos to Hunter?" My eyes widened.