PART TWENTY

I SAT NEXT TO Austin, about to search furthermore into what was hidden in Georgia's closet

              I SAT NEXT TO Austin, about to search furthermore into what was hidden in Georgia's closet. "Hold on, Austin, I'm getting a call from Max." I stood up, walking into the hallway. "Hey Max, what's up?"

"Hey, have you talked to Ginny?"

"Not since earlier, why?"

"Uh, you know what, I don't even know why I called you. We'll talk tomorrow at school, okay?"

"Yea, okay. Is everything alright?" The line went dead. I walked back into Georgia's room to see that the floorboards were covered again and Georgia was sitting on her bed. Shit, I'll have to look at it later. I quickly left the room, wanting to avoid conversation.

I locked myself in my room, wanting to be left alone for the rest of the night.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Hey, Max, you wanted to talk to me?"

"I have to go to class." She walked away, avoiding eye contact. I made my way over to Norah, hopeful she'd give me some answers. "Hey, Norah. Do you know what's wrong with Max? She's acting weird."

Her eyes widened slightly. "Nope, no idea." The bell rang and she jumped up, running to class.

I slowly made my way to class, not wanting to endure another class period with Mr. Gitten. "Everyone take out your copies of A Room of Ones Own. We were just finishing up with chapter three." He started reading through the book, stopping when he saw the n-word. "I'm gonna take a brief pause to point out the word that comes next. Now, the n-word is obviously a problematic word." Ginny and I shared glances before looking back at him. "Unless, of course, you're listening to a rap song. Word. However, I think it's important that we highlight that during the time, this word was not as polarizing. It was a different time.

"Also, I'd like to point out that a female wrote this book. But, back to the word, I'm not going to say it out loud, because it can be very upsetting. Right Ginny and Amar?" He started reading the book again.

"I'm two seconds from going psycho killer on you." I stood up, slamming the book down on my desk.

"I'm sorry?"

"Yea, you should be." I grabbed my bag and walked out of the class.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Amar, over here." I looked over to see Marcus waving me over.

"Hey. Is it cool if I sit here?" I asked Mrs. Miller, pointing to the seat between her and Marcus.

"Of course, honey." She smiled.

I watched Max sing and dance in awe. We all clapped as the play came to an end. "Hey, have you seen Ginny?"

"No. Didn't she come with you?"

"Oh, wait, I just saw her with Max. I'll be back." I kissed him on the cheek, walking into the hallway.