PART SIXTEEN

"I can't believe Cynthia

           "I can't believe Cynthia. My mom's been busting her ass. The way she is about this job, I've never seen her care like this before. I'm so proud of her, and then this B pulls this C?" I nodded along, listening to my sister vent.

"Bitch, crap, I'm with you. Woah, hold up." Max pulled us behind a tree, trying to spy on someone. "Drama."

Once we got to the tree, I peered around it to see Padma and Marcus talking. "Amar, I thought you said he ended things with her?"

"That's what he told me." I dragged my tongue across my teeth, feeling myself get anxious.

"I just feel like I don't matter to you."

"I don't know what to say." Marcus shrugged.

"Why didn't you just tell me what was going on instead of ignoring me? I mean, you guys are together all the time, right? She's had to of seen me blowing up your phone."

"I muted our conversation." He mumbled, looking down at his feet.

"He didn't answer her texts... that's something." Ginny shrugged, trying to help.

"No, don't stick up for that bastard. My brother is the spawn of Satan." Max shook her head, focusing back in on their conversation.

"It was nice knowing you, Marcus. I hope your treat her right." Padma walked away and Marcus stood by himself in the middle of the street.

"I'm going in."

"What? No." Ginny pulled me back by my book bag. "If you go over there, he's gonna know you were listening in on his conversation."

"I don't care." I pulled my book bag from her grip and made my way over to Marcus.

"Oh, hey. Where'd you come from?" He stuck his arm out, trying to wrap it around my waist, only for me to push it away. "You saw her, didn't you?" He sighed.

"Yea, I saw her, Marcus." I crossed my arms. "You told me you ended things with her before we even started dating."

"It's complicated."

"No, Thor and Loki's relationship is complicated. This," I motioned between the two of us. "is about to be over if you don't explain what happened."

He took a deep breath before sighing. He walked over to the sidewalk and sat down, patting the spot next to him. I sat a couple of feet away from him. "When you kissed me the morning after the sleepover, I was shocked and happy. I obviously hadn't broke it off with Padma, but that night, when you stayed with me in the bathroom, it meant a lot to me."

"Because I kept you company in a girls bathroom?" I furrowed my eyebrows, not catching on.

"No." He chuckled slightly. "Because you could've been hanging out with your friends, dancing, having a fun time. Instead, you were with me, playing twenty one questions." I fought to keep a smile from growing on my face. "I don't know, it just made me feel a lot closer to you. Anyway, after that, I was in this mindset where you're perfect for me and all I wanted was for you to be my girl. So, when you asked about Padma, I panicked. And, I know, I should've broken it off with her as soon as we made it official, but I didn't wanna hurt her." I nodded along, slowly becoming less mad. "I was already leading her on enough as it was, if I broke it off with her to be with someone else, I was scared how she'd take it. I just didn't want to hurt her." He let out a breath, looking at me with an unsure expression.