Chapter twenty

The feeling of relief washed over me when I opened the front door. 

Finally, home after a long day of school.

I have been craving to take a warm bath for hours. Hot water always seemed to help relax my sore muscles. 

It should be illegal to sit straight for hours on a wooden chair.

I passed past the living room and saw that Isaac had his hands in his hair.

He was mumbling to himself, I took a few quiet steps toward him, trying to figure out what he was saying. 

"Where is he?" he muttered in frustration. 

Who was he talking about?

"Isaac? Is everything alright?" I asked concerned. 

He looked up to meet my gaze.

His shoulders were slumped as if he had given up completely, he looked like a defeated man. 

I was extremely worried when I saw him sitting like this.

Normally Isaac could control his emotions in the hardest situations. Even when he found out about my abuse, he seemed to have a grip on himself. 

So something bad must have happened right? 

"I know something is wrong, please talk to me," I said while placing myself next to him. 

I saw that he gathered himself, trying to look as if the pas two minutes never happened.

"It's just something related to work, nothing to worry about," he tried to smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. 

"Isaac, you need to let others help you. You can't expect me to walk away when you obviously need someone to listen to you," I explained him. 

He had the bad habit of keeping everything to himself. Isaac thought it was his responsibility to carry our burdens, and refused to tell us his own concerns. 

He gently grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes. 

"There is some setback at work, nothing that I cannot solve," he confessed. 

I had a strong feeling that he was still keeping something from me.

"You sure that's all?" 

He hummed as response. 

There was something he refused to tell me, I was sure of it. Maybe Isaac didn't trust me the way I trusted him.

I shifted my gaze because I didn't want him to see the hurt look in my eyes. 

Ethan entered the room and stood still when he saw us sitting. I locked my eyes with his, I think he saw the hurt look in my eyes because he laid his hand on my shoulder. 

"I will handle it," he whispered into my ear.

Perhaps Ethan can get through to him, so I decided to leave them alone.

Even if Isaac doesn't want to open up to me, I still hope he talks to someone. 

Bottling up feelings has dire consequences, I don't want him to drown away in his own thoughts. 

I was sitting on my bed while wondering what Isaac was so worried about. 

He mumbled that he was looking for someone, and when I asked what was wrong, he claimed it was work related. 

My head was starting to hurt from all my overthinking. 

I could not just let it go, that was not my mindset. The moment I learn something, I have to know everything, otherwise the unknown will drive me crazy.